South Carolina

Quote: I love my OEs but I know they are OEs since I breed all mine for that reason. It is just sad that some breeders do not know what they are selling but I know you are tickled with your color of egg. I will try to grow some OE girls up for you. Most of mine this year seem to be boys.
roll.png

And yes, mine are true Marans. I keep trying to hatch some more out but egg sales are high so it is difficult to keep enough for me. I am still trying to catch some hens in the nest that do not lay the color I want to breed so as soon as I can figure out who the lighter layers are that I don't want for breeding you are welcome to purchase them. Then you can work on your own darker egg line as Albert was hatched from a very dark egg.
big_smile.png

Just joined and wanted to say 'hi' to my fellow SCers. I'm in the Greenville area and just starting to learn about chicken keeping. I've already learned so much from the tips, posts, links and sites of folks like WestKnollAmy and Davaroos
bow.gif

No chickens or gear yet but I'm very interested in an open air tractor coop, whole grain/no soy feed and portable fencing.

Guy

Thank you for the compliment. I hope I help some people. I do try to help others as best I can.

You have got to get busy getting you some birds so you can have fresh eggs! And fun pets!

And I want to say
welcome-byc.gif
and to our wonderful SC thread!

Exciting news! Please keep me informed on how things are going with the hatch. I had something get 2 more guineas yesterday(both Royal Purples)--what ever it is it gets them by the leg and chews them pretty good. I have treated them but one lost a good deal of blood so I will have to see how it goes for him. I have never seen this before with the guineas--I am guessing raccoon. We were thinking our schnauzer was getting them when they got in her yard but I have watched her with them and she chases them but if they do not get out she stops and waits for them to run again. If she is out she ignores them altogether. I am really stumped with this one but I have noticed the guineas have stopped going up to the road and are staying close to the house this week.
Ewwww! Sorry to hear that.
Something kept trying to get my one extra pearl male that was sleeping outside so he could constantly torment the chocolates in their pen. Since my wonderful LGD refuses to stay on our property anymore I have had to make everything Fort Knox again and the Guinea fella has chosen to coop up with the chickens again since he hasn't many feathers left. Whatever it is we can't find out even with several neighbors patrolling at night. It is crafty so I suppose raccoon or fox.

Amy, I never thought of a Fox! Although we have so many coyotes around here that we do not see many foxes.

Well, with some time on my hands today I took a few pictures--no one really wanted to cooperate but I got a few!

Patsy, here is a picture of the "Boys", Jasper and Purdy! They are never very far away when I am outside.

This bunch always comes running to see if I have any food! It is a mix of Black Copper Marans from Amy and some Australorps from a breeder in Iowa. Hard to tell them apart except by the feathers on the legs. Oh, except for the one roo with copper hackles!

Her is one of my hens I got last year from EmpyNester. I lost her mother but as you can see now she is a mother herself! I hope they are all little hens!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my chicken?

Oh, I just have to add a few more....
This is one of my Dominique girls from a breeder out of Kentucky. She is a very nice looking girl--even though she is a little wind blown!

Here are some of my Heritage Rose Comb RIR's. I really like these birds! I purchased the eggs for these guys from a woman here on BYC. They are out of the Adrian Rademcher Bloodline. I also have a pair of Single Combed birds in with them(not shown) from the same bloodline.

I'm going to make a note of that, too. I still have 4 extra roos I need to move out to make room for my new little Am roo that Patsy is holding for me. I had thought about taking them to Springfield flea market tomorrow, but I don't know - what do y'all think? Pelzer or Springfield?
thanks for sending this I was looking for a close sale and its closer to me than tooter town.in greer.

Hi Jenn

I was just there today with 4 roos. I paid $7 for the spot and just set up my crates, my chair, got my coffee, and sat back and waited for the hordes of buyers. Okay, maybe "hordes" is a bit of exaggeration, but I did manage to sell all 4 of them, so I'm happy.

Best suggestion is to get there early. Many of the other chicken sellers there will do a lot of quick swapping before the general public even shows up. I got there at 7AM this morning and was able to find a nice place to park in the shade. The management will come see you to collect the rent, so there's no check-in process - just pull in, find a nice place to park, and set up. My biggest mistake was to not bring boxes or something the buyers could take their new birds home in; so you might want to think about grabbing a few boxes on your way out the door. Fortunately, the buyers of my roos already had crates, but many don't.

If you have any specific questions, send me a pm and I'll try to help (with all my limited experience ;) ).

Susan

Considering going to Springfield... Can anyone sell? Where can I get more information? Is there a minimum number to sell? I would probably only have three Roos to sell (unless someone will take them off my hands first, hint hint!)
yes anyone can buy or sell if you get the markett bulletin look for the sales page for springfield auction

Back
Top Bottom