South Carolina

I'll have to look into that one.
I know I get good results from feather sexing at hatching and looking at the saddle feathers once they start to feather in. wide well rounded saddle feathers are pullets and tapered saddle feathers are cockrels. but all mine are straight combs.
In Amers and EEs they can be 5-7 months old before you see saddle feathers....almost as difficult as a silkie...Susans post stated she had EEs and that they were brooder raised =) Thats why I shared...I don't usually fool with feather sexing...I can tell my straight and rose combs by a few weeks anyway...they are my easy babies...LOL And usually they are sold as straight run by 2 weeks old...I cannot keep enough hatched =)

In Amers and EEs they can be 5-7 months old before you see saddle feathers....almost as difficult as a silkie...Susans post stated she had EEs and that they were brooder raised =) Thats why I shared...I don't usually fool with feather sexing...I can tell my straight and rose combs by a few weeks anyway...they are my easy babies...LOL And usually they are sold as straight run by 2 weeks old...I cannot keep enough hatched =)
Yes - my last group (all EE's), I could see the pronounced comb on the lone cockerel at about 4-5 weeks. But I'm not seeing that with this group yet. The only difference I'm seeing is that the two I suspect have a higher tail carriage (neither of the breeds I combined have a high tail set in the hens) and more legginess. Just some early indications that they "might" be roos, but I should be able to start seeing some differences in combs in the next week or so.

The good news is that they are all getting peacefully along now. Though, this has been the noisiest group of chicks I think I've ever had! LOL. Barry just says they have me well trained. :)

Brand new chicken guy here trying to find some fellow South Carolinains to chit chat with. For starters I have GLWDs. 1 roo and 4 hens. Looking to expand, like yesterday. From St. Matthews and had a heck of a time finding a flock in Oct.

Brand new chicken guy here trying to find some fellow South Carolinains to chit chat with. For starters I have GLWDs. 1 roo and 4 hens. Looking to expand, like yesterday. From St. Matthews and had a heck of a time finding a flock in Oct.

Welcome! We have many breeds in SC (just review this thread lol), and through BYC plenty of eggs/chicks available from all over the USA :)

Welcome to our flock!!! Glad to have ya. Don't worry, there are plenty of folks willing to contribute to chicken math. Lots of fantastic birds here in our state!! And the loveliest group of people too!

I would like to understand more about feather sexing at hatching...do you mean the coloring? as in - my Dorkings can be sexed by color/striping at hatch for just a couple weeks till they change? I can tell them apart at hatch...I know you have RIR...do they exhibit the same color patterning (not saying like the Dorking but a pattern?) ?

When feather sexing. makes no difference if it is a sex-linked chick or not.
coloration has nothing to do with it. however if your unsure if the white spots or the yellow spots on sexlinks is which. use feather sexing to be sure
I flip the chick upside down and spread it's wing open.
IF the top ( inverted will be the bottom ) row of feathers is longer then the bottom row your holding yourself a little day old ( works up till 3 days old ) pullet.
IF the top AND bottom rows are the same length your holding a brand new baby cockerel

ONCE they hit Juvie stage you can look at the saddle feathers.
wide well rounded pullet
tapers down.. cockerel

Had to post a pic of my Extra Roo..or Backup Roo...
BleuBar the BRxBlueJG...I love the blue with the barring. So Far he's a good little roo...BUT the hormones have not really kicked in yet. I'm also afraid he will be bigger than my Main Roo...I see fights in my future.

He's starting his 6month molt. Check out them spotted legs. Purdy Mutt!!!

My turkey poults finally calmed down enough to eat out of my hand and let me pet them :) and i watched them fanning for the first time today, so adorable to see those tiny ragged tail feathers all stuck up :)

Back
Top Bottom