south facing coop

Dad and Moxie

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
I have read some literature that suggest facing your coop to the south in order to utilize the warming effects of the sun during the cool winter months. Where I live the wind direction, on average, blows south to north. This would seem to be good in the hot summer months, but not so much during the winter. If I build the coop close to the house, to provide shade and a wind break, I lose a lot of the sunshine. If I place it out in the yard, I get the winter wind. At a loss as to the best way to go. Ideas?

Here are my thoughts, unless you live in Alaska or Canada, the "warming effects" of the sun during winter months just won't matter. Chickens are wearing a down coat and can easily take the cold. The heat of summer is what you need to worry about. You didn't give one important piece of information. Where do you live?

Oh. I guess that would be a good piece of info. I live in north central Kentucky. Along the Ohio River. The winter here is normally not to bad, but this year we had several days of near zero temps.

Back
Top Bottom