South Texas Aea

84097newbei

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
We are new to the South Texas area and I am looking for others that are keeping chickens in their yards. We moved here from Utah and there were no issues, i.e. heat, humidity.. I would like to have a small coop again but looking for advice.

:welcome
How far south?
@AllenK@new2this is in the Valley. I'm on the east side in the swamp. What humidity are you talking about? :lau Ours runs above 60%.

Quite a few on this forum.
OP is in Ingleside 10 miles south of Rockport. So lets just say Corpus area. edit-- I would suggest ordering from Ideal.com since they would basically have heat tolerant breeds as they are near Austin. I think Austin is only 4 hours away so if you wanted to baby them call ahead they will let you pick them up if they have stock.

I am a bit unclear on what the question you are asking is could you clarify for us what information you are after?

Well I always get pissy with Border patrol in Falfurias when they ask me "Are you a citizen?" and refuse to answer then go on to tell em about 5th amendment rights if the take me to secondary inspection it usually runs a bit long as I clarify my 4th amendment rights and so on..... but yes 2 hours tops depending on Border Patrol. Oh yeah and I always ask if they have probable cause to suspect I am not a citizen.

edit- the guys at the Checkpoint between me and my beach(Boca Chica) know to just wave me through.

OP is in Ingleside 10 miles south of Rockport. So lets just say Corpus area. edit-- I would suggest ordering from Ideal.com since they would basically have heat tolerant breeds as they are near Austin. I think Austin is only 4 hours away so if you wanted to baby them call ahead they will let you pick them up if they have stock.

I am a bit unclear on what the question you are asking is could you clarify for us what information you are after?
Also were I to drive to anywhere near Austin and it is near a meal time, or rush hour for the 9-5 crowd or 2 hours before or after either 9AM or 5PM, go around that city or find a restaurant for Happy Hour and some Marguritas.

I'll drive through Austin between 10AM and 11AM and between 2PM and 3PM or any time after 7PM. Personally I remember the 4-7PM time is the worst.

Last edited:
Well I always get pissy with Border patrol in Falfurias when they ask me "Are you a citizen?" and refuse to answer then go on to tell em about 5th amendment rights if the take me to secondary inspection it usually runs a bit long as I clarify my 4th amendment rights and so on..... but yes 2 hours tops depending on Border Patrol. Oh yeah and I always ask if they have probable cause to suspect I am not a citizen.

edit- the guys at the Checkpoint between me and my beach(Boca Chica) know to just wave me through.
This is why they have their silly checkpoint with a ranchers 360acrex5 lots of cattle ranch on the right and 1000's of acres of scrub to the left of Hwy 4. Like anyone trafficing people or drugs would bother with the checkpoint.

Also, here is the Rio Grande's confluence with the Gulf looking upstream Texas on Right Mexico on Left in this image. The kids in this photo lost their soccer(football) to the river and the 25mph onshore winds blew it to Texas. Shortly after this I thought I found a nice World Cup Mexico Soccer ball, but those dang kids screamed to get it back so I kicked it over to them.

RioGrande.jpg

very pretty. I should have taken pictures of the swamp. Too busy looking for ducks. Qwack!

You there fishing or tanning? We are planning on touring Corpus Christi when the weather cools off. January or next spring with daughter.

very pretty. I should have taken pictures of the swamp. Too busy looking for ducks. Qwack!

You there fishing or tanning? We are planning on touring Corpus Christi when the weather cools off. January or next spring with daughter.
Oh we just do some birding and let our dogs run crazy we use this beach because its county run, nobody is ever there. The County Sheriff will only come out there is there is a dead body discovered or a drug cache gets reported. Border Patrol is there often enough and when I go that far south(to the river) they usually strike up a conversation. They have no jurisdiction though to tell me to keep my animals leashed ect.. I really should take the Jeep further inland along the river for @#$%'s and giggles just to annoy those guys and have em send a helicopter or something out.

LOL tanning that is a funny concept when you live here as if I don't get enough sun doing yardwork or working on the coop.

Back
Top Bottom