South Texas Classic- La Grange

I am looking for a self blue d'Anver roo and will be at the La Grange show if anyone has one.

Patty Shay

Went to the show yesterday, was very entertaining. Was my first poultry exhibit. Grew up in a small town that had a rather large county fair, Brazoria,(largest in Texas when I was a kid) and never went to any of the livestock stuff. Just rode the rides and looked at girls
smile.png
Sure wish I would have payed more attention when I was young.

There were lots of modern game birds and light buff brahmas at the show...these were 2 most common birds there that I could tell. Few really nice cochins, d'uccle's (sp) and D'anvers (again sp). If you were there you couldn't miss me and my friend, we were the 2 idiots in shorts and t-shirts on a chilly, windy day. If I hadn't forgotten my hoodie I would have liked to stick around to chat some folks up but was freezing and had to go. I can't wait to go to another show and peruse the birds and possibly talk to some folks next time.

We live in Austin and went to the LaGrange show last year (just before the fire). My daughters would like to show something (we keep heritage chickens and Australian Spotted ducks). I have never done anything like this before. Can someone give me the basic run down on how this works? Who is eligible to show? Do you have to belong to 4H or something?

We are an urban family with no fair/show experience at all. We're trying to take baby steps here. I believe the deadline to enter is in about a week. Is there someone out there willing to hold my hand a bit?

Many thanks,
KatGold

p.s. I'd prefer we show the ducks (though we have a beautiful Cuckoo Marans). I am trying to make the chickens be less of a "pet." I'm hip to freezer camp, but the girls aren't there yet.

Hi there KatGold,
We live in Dripping Springs (just outside Austin) and are members of Fancy Feathers 4H. Our group focuses on backyard, egg laying and show chickens... we are not a meat project 4H group although many of our members (including us) have raised birds specifically for meat. We host a wonderful chicken show every year... and it is coming up on March 10th. You all should come to the show and I bet you all will get all the advice you are looking for and more :). Here is a link to our clubs website in case you would like to check it out - http://www.fancyfeatherstx.org/
As far as who is eligible to show... I think it depends on the individual show. I do believe though that for most shows in Texas, if not all, you will need to have your flock P/T tested.
I hope this helps... feel free to send me a pm if you want... I'm happy to help if I can... do note though that I don't really have any info on ducks... we just have chickens.
Amy :)

We live in Austin and went to the LaGrange show last year (just before the fire). My daughters would like to show something (we keep heritage chickens and Australian Spotted ducks). I have never done anything like this before. Can someone give me the basic run down on how this works? Who is eligible to show? Do you have to belong to 4H or something?

We are an urban family with no fair/show experience at all. We're trying to take baby steps here. I believe the deadline to enter is in about a week. Is there someone out there willing to hold my hand a bit?

Many thanks,
KatGold

p.s. I'd prefer we show the ducks (though we have a beautiful Cuckoo Marans). I am trying to make the chickens be less of a "pet." I'm hip to freezer camp, but the girls aren't there yet.

Oh Amy! I would love to go to your show, but we are going to be in Denton that weekend. We are almost always in town. What a disappointment. We will try to come next year though.

Katgold
The show this year is March 3rd. If you go to the Brazos Valley Poultry Club website - http://www.bluebonnetclassic.com/
and go to the Show requirements page you will find out what and who will test your birds so that you can enter the show. They also have a Backyard show for unrecognized breeds or for those who just want to show off their pets.
If you need to PM me and I will e-mail you a copy of the Entry form. Danny can be a bit hard to get ahold of.

Also keep in mind that The BVPC will be having a Lawn Show on May 5th at Dan Dykes House in Brenham. This is a show just for beginners to help teach them how and what to show. It is run just like a real show with a Judge ( Steve Jones ) entry forms, P/T report and everything. The only difference is that we limit it to beginners and to 100 birds. Plus you must be a member to show. You can see more about it here- http://www.meetup.com/AustinBackyardPoultry/events/48393402/

Bob Choate

Dan Dykes is so wonderful to host the Lawn Show! I haven't been before... I'm thinking we will have to make the trip. :)

Katgold
The show this year is March 3rd. If you go to the Brazos Valley Poultry Club website - http://www.bluebonnetclassic.com/
and go to the Show requirements page you will find out what and who will test your birds so that you can enter the show. They also have a Backyard show for unrecognized breeds or for those who just want to show off their pets.
If you need to PM me and I will e-mail you a copy of the Entry form. Danny can be a bit hard to get ahold of.

Also keep in mind that The BVPC will be having a Lawn Show on May 5th at Dan Dykes House in Brenham. This is a show just for beginners to help teach them how and what to show. It is run just like a real show with a Judge ( Steve Jones ) entry forms, P/T report and everything. The only difference is that we limit it to beginners and to 100 birds. Plus you must be a member to show. You can see more about it here- http://www.meetup.com/AustinBackyardPoultry/events/48393402/

Bob Choate

Back
Top Bottom