SOUTHERN ILLINOIS!

I meant to do this a long time ago, but is anyone else in good ole Saluki Country?
i lived between Carbondale and makanda about 40 years ago. Really beautiful country around there. I now live in Olney, Il.

i lived between Carbondale and makanda about 40 years ago. Really beautiful country around there. I now live in Olney, Il.
Cool! We live just north of Murphysboro. I do think it's quite pretty around here too.
smile.png

What breeds of chickens do you have? I will be starting over with austra whites,black australorp and red sex link.

What breeds of chickens do you have? I will be starting over with austra whites,black australorp and red sex link.
That's a nice selection of breeds. You should have plenty of eggs! We have a pretty diverse flock. We've currently got Black Sex-Links, Jersey Giants, Buff Orpingtons, RIR, Barred Rocks, SL Wyandottes, Dark Brahmas, Speckled Sussex, Polish, EE, Naked Necks, Welsummers, and a noisy little Houdan. (Hopefully I didn't forget anything!) This year I'll be adding White Orpingtons and BLR Wyandottes and re-stocking our Dorkings from our last fox raid. We've also got a flock of 17 bantams, two turkeys at the moment (Blue Slate hen and Bourbon Red tom), two guinea hens, and one fat Pekin duck who thinks she's a chicken.
lol.png

That's a nice selection of breeds. You should have plenty of eggs! We have a pretty diverse flock. We've currently got Black Sex-Links, Jersey Giants, Buff Orpingtons, RIR, Barred Rocks, SL Wyandottes, Dark Brahmas, Speckled Sussex, Polish, EE, Naked Necks, Welsummers, and a noisy little Houdan. (Hopefully I didn't forget anything!) This year I'll be adding White Orpingtons and BLR Wyandottes and re-stocking our Dorkings from our last fox raid. We've also got a flock of 17 bantams, two turkeys at the moment (Blue Slate hen and Bourbon Red tom), two guinea hens, and one fat Pekin duck who thinks she's a chicken.:lol:
WOW!!! You have a lot of breeds.Where will you be getting the white orpingtons from?We got are chicks yesterday from Rural King and went with austra white, buff Orpington and barred rock. We just could not wait. LOL!! So do you raise for eggs,show,sell of eggs and chicks or a little bit of everything?

WOW!!! You have a lot of breeds.Where will you be getting the white orpingtons from?We got are chicks yesterday from Rural King and went with austra white, buff Orpington and barred rock. We just could not wait. LOL!! So do you raise for eggs,show,sell of eggs and chicks or a little bit of everything?
I'm the same way. Hate waiting. Plus, almost every time I go to RK, I usually come home with more babies. I actually just came home with 10 more. (6 Light Brahma, three Black Sex-Link, and a SL Wyandotte)
big_smile.png
We bought our White Orps from Murray McMurray. I bought three, but only one is left. I don't know why, but the last two years have been awful with them. The chicks have dropped like flies throughout the first week they have arrived. Out of the 25 that I ordered, 13 are left. Anyway, my great-grandparents and my grandparents always kept poultry on our land for the essentials (eggs, meat etc.) and then I made a hobby out of it. It's now affectionately known as the hobby that's gone terribly out of control. (I'm a gulity chick-aholic)
lol.png
But we also raise for eggs, and we usually buy chicks and raise them for about four weeks and sell them off to those who don't want to deal with babies.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in Anna We are new to chickens this year and have a variety of breeds like silkies, duccle's, polish, barred rock, OEGB, etc.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in Anna We are new to chickens this year and have a variety of breeds like silkies, duccle's, polish, barred rock, OEGB, etc.
Nice breeds! Good breeds for your first year too. You have several of my favorites as well.

I know my flock and I will be glad when this heat spell is over. It's killing me! Hope your birds are keeping cool!

Back
Top Bottom