Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Went outside this evening to catch a large bird flying out of my yard and my girls in their coop early, eerily quiet. When I approached them they began making a sound that I can only compare to a cat's purr...but shrill.
Was this a hawk? It appeared to be the size of a hen and had a longish, brown and speckled white tail with a blunt end.
What was this noise? Had it been intimidating them? Will it come back? Is it legal for me to shoot the **** thing?

[quote name="stoopid" I have a little Serama girl I can give you, sorry I didn't see you wanted to come out today til now.
That trip is crazy, did you want me to meet you halfway?[/quote]
I actually like driving and then I will stop by commack and visit my B-in-L and family.
How old is the little Serama? Will she get on with a silver seabright? Also if I put my cell no on this post so you can call me will it be private?

[quote name="stoopid"
sorry I didn't see you wanted to come out today til now.
[/quote]

I can drive out tomorrow afternoon if that is convenient for you. I'm in lower Westchester so it takes me about 1 1/4 hrs to Commack

[quote name="stoopid"
That trip is crazy
[/quote]
Hi Roberta , my son came home tonight and was really upset that I was considering giving away Blackie. Now I don't know what to do... He is a very sweet bird even if he crows for an hour every morning. He said if someone complains just tell them it's the morning chorus!!
I would like to get a couple more girls to keep Nutmeg company. Being new to having chickens I'm not sure what kind of birds I should look for though and I don't think my husband will go for getting chicks. She has gone broody and I think she misses her buddy who took off and never came back. Heather said she would do that once in a while but I don't know what happened to her.
I took Nutmeg out of the nesting box and put her heinie in a bowl of cold water. I read or was told that that would stop them from brooding. I think she liked it! Lol.

Went outside this evening to catch a large bird flying out of my yard and my girls in their coop early, eerily quiet. When I approached them they began making a sound that I can only compare to a cat's purr...but shrill.
Was this a hawk? It appeared to be the size of a hen and had a longish, brown and speckled white tail with a blunt end.
What was this noise? Had it been intimidating them? Will it come back? Is it legal for me to shoot the **** thing?
Sounds like a wild Turkey, young ones are just a bit larger than a chicken and can fly very well. It also could have been a Pheasant or Guinea Keet. The Hens were probably alarming to let all the neighborhood know there was danger. My Merriweather does something like that-it's loud and sounds like someones chasing her with an axe and a jar of bbq sauce.

If it's a Turkey or Pheasant, no, you can't shoot it until hunting season. Next time try to take a picture. I'd love to see what it is!

I had a turkey in my yard with 3 baby poults, don't know how she got the kids inside my fence. They roost in the trees and it's quite a site watching them get up and down.
I haven't seen any hawks lately, but always be on guard.

I had a turkey in my yard with 3 baby poults, don't know how she got the kids inside my fence. They roost in the trees and it's quite a site watching them get up and down.
I haven't seen any hawks lately, but always be on guard.
I see them all the time when driving to football in Shoreham. It's cool because at the beginning of the season, the poults are small and the parents have to really watch them, and you watch as they get bigger and more independent.

I don't see them in my yard, but we're loaded with deer and woodpeckers lately.

Back
Top Bottom