Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I was at Agway/Talmage yesterday picking up corn and pellets. The chicks are in and so irresistible. However, I did resist. My gardens are ripped to shreds as well. uggh. I too am thinking of those of you struggling with health issues. Hopefully a warm spring day can help us all. Unfortunately our rooster, Thor, has gotten too aggressive and tried all the tricks and advice here on the board. He jumped and scratched a neighbor.
This week I got my order from Burgess and was really disappointed/angry at the condition and method of shipping. My Japanese cherry wasn't even protected but just thrown in loose with small pots. They were all put in one big sack and tossed around like garbage during shipping damaging the roots terribly. I hope it survives. I was really disappointed in there quality of shipping methods. However my lilac has buds peeking out.
Hope everyone has a pleasant rainy Sunday.

Hi Everyone,

I hope that you remember me! My girls made it well through the winter. Of course, they stopped laying when they molted, but are all back to laying. After not buying eggs since last Easter when they 1st started laying, I had to actually purchase some. What a disappointment. I really missed the eggs from my girls.

I have missed so much here and will need a couple of weeks to catch up.

After my boxer passed in August, I purchased a standard poodle puppy from a breeder in upstate NY. His training has kept me quite busy along with all the daily exercise that he needs.

We are expecting our 8th grandchild in May and my last son is getting married in June. This year holds a lot for us.

Looking forward to getting back into the "Backyard Chicken" routine!

Regards to all,
frow.gif

Irene

Hi Everyone. Been a while since I posted and lots has happened. First, I'm sending out healing thoughts to everyone and I know that the warmer weather will hopefully bring us all some relief. Ok, the Cropper chicken affair....I lost a couple to sickness that was unidentified and one sweet RIR to yolk peritonitis.
We thought she was egg bound but none were on the X-ray. DH hand fed her for weeks and she held on to the surprise of everyone. Then he went to work a few days ago, she seemed fine, and was gone a few hours later. I figure she really must have loved my man to stay so long when she clearly was in pain.
Then I had a trip to TSC for feed and bedding. Yea, right. Bought 4 silkies and my daughter picked a tetra tint and a Cochin. Oh, I forgot to mention that we already had 30+ eggs in our new bator (first attempt at hatching) going into lockdown two days later! Can anyone say Chicken Math!? Good news is we've had ten chicks so far although one is a little shakey right now. We put in 3 cream legbar/slw blue eggs and one pipped but little further action. Sigh. And my older daughter, Raleigh, want frizzles and I would love to add copper Marans, EEs, another cream legbar and....oh man, shut my mouth. There are already 16 girls in the coops! I am totally out of control. Lol
Well, thanks for letting me vent a little...alot. Guess I'll go to sleep to the chirping. I really need a Farm! Best to all, Sherrill
:jumpy

Well 4inches of snow this morning ...how crazy is that.

Sherrill, you're crazy like the rest of us. You went from simple math to advanced calculus without anything in between .sorry for the loss of your one girl .

Enclosing the girls tomorrow and getting some cold crops in .that will certainly cause the temperature to jump to 90.

Iris my friend said she'd love to show you how to use her wheels before we go. I'll get you her number and you can work it out.

Alright, I got over my fear of more chicken poop when I was offered the opportunity to have a couple of silkie chicks. I plan to sneak them into the house and hope nobody notices
1f609.png

Once the chicks are old enough to go outside, how long should I keep the separated from the free ranging pack ? The original six are all about one year old. Is it really hard to integrate new chickens? Since so many of you add new chicks to your crew I thought this would be the place to go for "real" answers.

Morning All

lalany;
I have removable screens that I can put up to divide my run and separate any new comers. I usually do it over the course of a week.

Have been working like a dog taking back my yard. The girls are still giving me major stink eye and it's been about a week since the fence has gone up. You would think its the Berlin wall.
To date I have got two types of peas, potatoes, candy red onions, spinach, Swiss chard, Easter egg radishes and carrots in the ground. Im putting in a new strawberry patch this week cause the Tristar berries arrived over the weekend.
Since I gave up my original garden to the girls when the fence went up i han my friend Tony build 4raised beds to replace it. They are getting top soil/compost put in them this week. I am a happy farmer. Although I shouldn't say it out loud. I forgot to mention that on Saturday the wind blew the cold frame door down and glass smashed all over the onions. It's two steps forward and one back around here. Baby steps that is.

Is anyone going to the chick fest in South Salem this coming weekend? If it isn't raining ( or snowing) I'm going .

Stay safe everyone.

Quote:
Sounds like you're going to have a nice garden. I can't seem to get motivated to get anything done although DH did till the garden Thursday so that's SOME progress. I cleaned 1 of the coops yesterday....1 to go. We are planning to go to the South Salem event Saturday. Looking forward to it ! I need to get OUT of my house !!

I finally got my coop cleaned out and my garden tilled. Nothing planted yet, but at least the ground is defrosted. I will get all the peas and greens in this week. Potatoes and roots next week. I did start about 200 plants this weekend though. Mostly flowers. I also started clearing the brush for the pumpkin, squash, melon, patch. That is going to be a lot of work. I will till that this week, if I get a break in the weather.

Not sure if I am going to the salem meet up or not. So many things going on this Saturday.

I have 30 chicks arriving in the mail this week. I hope they luck out with the weather. The eggs in the incubator seem to be doing well. 42 set, 14 clears. 12 of those are from the same hen. This is the second time she has had so many blanks. Last time none of hers developed. They were fertilized though. Odd, right? This time only 2 show any sign of development, but they seem to be behind the others, so I think they are quitters. I won't be setting any eggs from her again. The eggs from the CCLs are at 100% fertile and 100% developing. Very happy about that. I should have a few NN babies too. Not sure what I am going to do with them all yet, but I have a number of people who want some, so it will work out.

Morning All

lalany;
I have removable screens that I can put up to divide my run and separate any new comers. I usually do it over the course of a week.

Have been working like a dog taking back my yard. The girls are still giving me major stink eye and it's been about a week since the fence has gone up. You would think its the Berlin wall.
To date I have got two types of peas, potatoes, candy red onions, spinach, Swiss chard, Easter egg radishes and carrots in the ground. Im putting in a new strawberry patch this week cause the Tristar berries arrived over the weekend.
Since I gave up my original garden to the girls when the fence went up i han my friend Tony build 4raised beds to replace it. They are getting top soil/compost put in them this week. I am a happy farmer. Although I shouldn't say it out loud. I forgot to mention that on Saturday the wind blew the cold frame door down and glass smashed all over the onions. It's two steps forward and one back around here. Baby steps that is.

Is anyone going to the chick fest in South Salem this coming weekend? If it isn't raining ( or snowing) I'm going .

Stay safe everyone.
Sorry about your cold frame my cold frame broke with all the snow pack... I am going to do plastic next year. Maybe that clear corrugated roofing. Think it will let in enough light? Right kind of light? I am new to the season extenders.

Last edited:
Queenchick thanks for the advice!
Sounds like your going to have a great garden! Turned over the dirt and added some seasoned compost yesterday , can't wait to get the veggies in!

Back
Top Bottom