Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Anyone know what this might be? I noticed it this morning. She does not appear to be sick.

Almost looks like the inner eyelid is swollen.

Anyone know what this might be? I noticed it this morning. She does not appear to be sick.
Here are some threads with what looks like the same thing (and their birds all got better without intervention):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/494133/cyst-under-eyelid-never-saw-this-before
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/460726/strange-eye-cyst-in-my-hens-eye-what-is-it-pics

There are a number of conditions that show up with symptoms in the eye in chickens. Everything from discharge from infection to worms. This looks like a growth of surrounding tissue. Is it solid (still may be squishy, but not liquidy)? Does it have what look like capillaries in the mass?

If it was an infection the area would be red and swollen and there would probably be a discharge. If it was eyeworm it would be swollen, red, and have a discharge (oh, and a white worm crawling around under the eyelid). Dermoid cysts are benign growths of tissue that look like fatty deposits.

Thanks everyone for your input. The mass is not veiny and it feels more like a blob of fat. It sounds very similar to what was described in the link Jersey Hen attached. Since that hen got better on its own I will give everyone an update in a few days.
Thanks again.

Thank you lalany,

Spoke with him today and doesn't look like I will be able to get the pullets that I want. He seems to be more driven by "chick sales". At least he was honest about that. Looks like I am going to make the big drive to Connecticut for pullets again!

Glad to hear that your girl is getting better!

Irene

Last edited:
I never got back on to let you know what happened with my chicken Sadie's eye. Over the past few weeks, the mass on her eye has not changed at all. No worse, no better. It doesn't seem to effect her at all so I haven't been worrying about it. I do thank you for all the input when I first posted.

Another thing, if you live in Western Suffolk County, a feed store has opened up on Bayshore Rd, Deer Park. It is called The Barn. They carry a lot of supplies for chickens and the owners are very nice.

Happy Easter !

I just got 20 more horizontal nipples for waterers. I will be making bucket waterers with 2 - 3 nipples each. I made 4 last year and they are the greatest thing ever. I only need to refill them every other day now.
I never got back on to let you know what happened with my chicken Sadie's eye. Over the past few weeks, the mass on her eye has not changed at all. No worse, no better. It doesn't seem to effect her at all so I haven't been worrying about it. I do thank you for all the input when I first posted.

Another thing, if you live in Western Suffolk County, a feed store has opened up on Bayshore Rd, Deer Park. It is called The Barn. They carry a lot of supplies for chickens and the owners are very nice.

Happy Easter !
Glad to hear that she seems healthy and that is may just be a benign growth. Maybe it will go away eventually.

Back
Top Bottom