Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Just fed and watered the little darlings. Got five eggs this morning so someone is holding out. They won't tell me who either. Little sneaks.

I'll check on them later. Still been getting the full compliment of eggs. Either I or they must be doing something right. If any of you want to know what I am feeding them, because that mey be thereby to this success, here it is.

90% Countryside Organics layer feed
10% UltraKibble

I changed yesterday to this;
70% Countryside organic layer feed
20% Countryside organic scratch
10% UltraKibble

The addition of he scratches to give them more corn to keep the calorie cint up for the colder nights and windy days.

It has started to drizzle here. Looks like a crumby day on tap. Oh well, what else is new.

Quote:
Sounds like a great diet for them! I just started adding a little scratch/cracked corn also for the colder nights. I also changed all my perches from natural tree branches to 2x3 turned flat so they keep there tootsies warm.
It's real cloudy here in Brentwood and I think it's about to rain soon. O well, at least my patio will get clean from all the chicken poop
gig.gif

Trish, I am trying my best to stay positive. Always waiting for the shoe to drop and me to start freaking out. So far so good. Like the old saying goes, if I didn't laugh I would cry. No sense in getting crazy over something that I am doing the best at trying to get resolved. Seeing the right doctors and getting all that in place is more comforting than worrying about the worst and doing nothing about it. When you get proactive lots of the pressure comes off. Most people find that the hardest part to get into their thought process. No one wants to hear bad news, but not knowing is truly worse. If it is something serious, you lose precious time by waiting, then wind up at the doctor anyway, and have lost what could be an important advantage.

Let me tell you, if I had to sleep cramped up like my girls do I would not be a happy camper. Getting hit in the head all night with a wing from a restless sleeper would drive me nuts. They do manage, however, and I give them credit for not fighting about it. They seem like a cohesive flock. I don't think I could introduce another because they are so well ordered no that in ever see any pecking now. They al have their places firmly established. Their personalities are so predictable. When they are ranging there are two explorers in the group. They will wander far and wide if I don't stop them. And they know when I'm coming to bring them back in. The rest wait for the big find of goodies before joining in. Saw some crows yesterday and think there may be a hawk or two close by. Can't let the girls out alone for any length of time. In November the hawks here are particularly loud with screeching going on quite a bit. And, so are the crows. Crows are my new best friends this year. Never had a reason to like them until now. Nature's guard birds.

Al

Quote:
Sounds like a great diet for them! I just started adding a little scratch/cracked corn also for the colder nights. I also changed all my perches from natural tree branches to 2x3 turned flat so they keep there tootsies warm.
It's real cloudy here in Brentwood and I think it's about to rain soon. O well, at least my patio will get clean from all the chicken poop
gig.gif

We use the 2x3 on its side too. A great way to keep frostbitten toes from happening. I do worry about their combs and am concerned about one of ours which has a long comb flopped to the side. I know they can sleep with their head under their wing, although I have yet to see it.
And, with all them squeezed onto one perch I can figure out how they will that. I dunno, maybe another top roost placed diagonally in the coop.

Mornin' everyone! I've been reading, but been so sick, haven't been very chatty.
Went to work today, hoping to infect whoever infected me, plus a few others. Paybacks.
tongue.png

My head is still really swollen from the win on Saturday, plus I have 10 silkies and 2 marans mutts in the bator, should pop tomorrow!

Quote:
Hey Roberta, there you are. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Joining the crowd, eh? I hope you do feel better and can make it through the work day.

You have every right to be proud of what you accomplished. Swollen heads are what winning is all about. Enjoy it, and keep up the good work. this chicken stuff ain't easy sometimes and I can just imagine the amount of time and effort you put I'm to capture a win.

Tomorrow should be a momentous day. Hope they hatch when you are right there to see it.

I'm only hoping that those 2 beautiful darks marans eggs hatch out marans, and not some horny bantam mutt for a father.
Got lots of those it could be. Don't really care, was just a test hatch, anyway!

Hey Roberta! We missed you! Sorry you've been sick.
hugs.gif
:hugs Definitely give those germs back.

I was going to send you a text to tell you to get your butt back here. I've been telling everyone I meet about your prize-winning chickens. I know a celebrity!

I took down the plastic barrier in the coop and put up wooden bars far apart enough for the chicks but not for the hens. They've been interacting pretty well - we had them all in the coop for a little while and the chicks just kept to themselves. Go figure Gladys (the cranky one) left them alone, but Aggie harassed them. I guess since she's getting bullied by Gladys, she has to pass it down to the chicks. I wonder who the chicks will harass? The dog?

I also moved one of the perches higher so the Queen can roost higher then everyone else.
bow.gif

Started work on a swing for them but I have to search Bobby's workshop for hooks and chain. If I'm not back in a couple of days, someone call the mounties.

Put on my "I am the 99%" tshirt and I'm off to the Unemployment Office. NYS fired me and now I have to drive to Hauppauge just to hand them some papers saying I've been looking for work. I just love bureaucracy! Think I'll pick up one of those papers that lists property for sale upstate. I plan to check out the Harvest Pride Feed Store while I'm out that way. Might as well get something good from the trip.
frow.gif

Yeah, I haven't been there yet, I know they have parrot food that I want to get, but been too lazy to drive.
And that's why they call it "pecking order"!

Back
Top Bottom