Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

So, the chaos in the coop might be calming down. The broody and her 3 week olds are finding their own way in and out of the broody cage. The teenagers were up on the roosts by the adults tonight instead of on the little roost in the brooder cage (top is open so they can get in and out). I hope the adults don't murder them before I can get in there tomorrow morning, but they decided to roost up there so they must be ready to take on the challenge. At least they were smart enough to go on the bottom rung. Three of them have some red marks on the comb area near the beak, so I know they have been through a few rounds of pecking already. I will take the brooder area out of there tomorrow and see how it goes. Then all that remains are the two other broodies sitting on eggs (one due next week with 2, the other in 2 weeks with 3).

Some observations of a broody momma hen... she had them out and eating goodies off the ground by day 3. They play in the mud and she takes them out in light rains. They can jump up onto obstacles about 1+ feet off the ground. They are only huddled under her at night and anytime something scary (like a leaf, robin, or chipmunk) comes around. When they get tired they hitch a ride on momma's back. They seem healthier and more active than any of the other chicks I have purchased. No pasty butt, no lethargy, nothing. They are already accepted into the flock where the ones that I brooded (who are 6 weeks or so) are not. It makes me think we seriously overdo it when we brood them. It has been hard to let her do her thing, but it seems that she knows far more about what a healthy chick needs than I do.

Makes sense to me!

Thanks for all the support, everyone.  I realize that life is not fair, and I'm okay with that, but this isn't like I got cut from the football team or something.  This is my livelihood, what I studied for (and still owe for) and how I feed my family and keep a roof over our heads.  The morons who run my district don't recognize that.  But don't get me started...

I went out to the coop when I got home.  The three chicks were up on the window shelves inside, and the little baby was peeping on the lower shelf where the nesting boxes are.  I felt bad that she couldn't get up to the top shelf, so I looked around for a stick to make a sort of ladder for her.  I went back in to put it in place and she had figured it out!  She's a little toughie, that one!  Still checking for signs of roo (comb, wattles, etc.) but so far nothing.  She's 18 days old today.

Put the WO/LS eggs into lockdown.  Added water to bring up humidity a little.  I quickly candled the eggs and pulled one clear one.  That leaves 5 WOs and 9 LSs.  I think one of the LS eggs is a no go - very small air cell.  I left it, though.  We'll see.

I find myself thinking about hatching more eggs.  I guess I need a distraction.  Looking at the Exhequer Leghorns, Coronation Sussex and Swedish Flower Hens.  Do I really need 3 more hens?  That would put me at 15!  I'm like the person who obsesses about her wedding, forgetting she has to be married to the guy!

Maybe I'll go buy some shoes.  No limit on them.:/

Suzanne, hope you didn't think I was minimizing your being let go by saying life isn't fair. What happened to you was a travesty. I used to think this was an America where administrators didn't cave in to politics, but that is not the case. You busted your butt getting, and paying for, an education with what should have been a promise of a secure career. They put a manufactured need ahead of a dedicated educator doing her job.

I didn't want to rant, but I am POed at the way we do things in Amerika, lately.

I think you are going to come out on top. You are a determined person. Anything you put you mind to, you accomplish.

Good luck with hatching those eggs. Yeah, it is a great diversion.

Suzanne, hope you didn't think I was minimizing your being let go by saying life isn't fair. What happened to you was a travesty. I used to think this was an America where administrators didn't cave in to politics, but that is not the case. You busted your butt getting, and paying for, an education with what should have been a promise of a secure career. They put a manufactured need ahead of a dedicated educator doing her job.
I didn't want to rant, but I am POed at the way we do things in Amerika, lately.
I think you are going to come out on top. You are a determined person. Anything you put you mind to, you accomplish.
Good luck with hatching those eggs. Yeah, it is a great diversion.

I didn't feel that you minimized the situation, Al! I know you all understand. It's funny how most people do understand and are outraged by this whole thing. And yet, the powers that be continue to act as if it's no big deal.

But anyway, I've started marketing a tutoring business. I really do enjoy the one to one rapport of private tutoring. No bureaucrats, no politics, no bs.

With any luck, I'll be able to support the family with that and a little supplemental income.
D.gif

And now my list has expanded to include Exchequer Leghorns, Dorkings and Coronation Sussex. I bumped the Swedish Flowers - the plumage is not that interesting on the females.

Welcome!  No better group than those on this thread.

And, speaking as the owner of a white dog, thanks for the info about Cowboy Magic.  Will definitely check it out. 

Happily addicted to chickens - I like that.  You know you're addicted to chickens when you have them in your living room!!

Where are you from?

I'm Suzanne.  I'm in Huntington.

:frow

Thank you for the kind welcome. I'm in Dutchess County...Poughkeepsie. Sorry to hear about your job. I know it is life changing to lose a position. It may be time to eat some chocolate, have a glass of wine and hug a chick or two. Chicken therapy is a good thing!
Tina

Good morning all, I got up at 3:30 and realized I'd left the coop window open. A raccoon could easily get in. So I go downstairs to close it. I go in, close it and a huge rat almost runs across my flip flopped feet. UGH! He ran straight for the hen's door which was of course closed for the night. He kept running back and forth trying and get away from me. Now I am worried about Mrs. C and her chicks in the other room. So I take my flashlight to go in and check on them and the battery in the flashlight dies. So now I'm in the coop and I need light so I turn on the big overhead light and Mrs. C takes the opportunity to get her and her chicks a drink of water. Noooo, Mrs. C, get back in your nesting box with those chicks, there is a huge rat hiding somewhere in here and he can't get out. I get her back in her box, turn off the light and finally leave, hoping the rat went through the people door I left open.

Now it's 4:09 a.m. and I want to go back to sleep but I can't stop thinking of the rat. He was eating the feed I left in there for the chicks and Mrs. C.

Anyone else out there having problems with rats? They were here before we bought the house and now they are getting big and fat from all the chicken feed they eat. I've tried poisons (the hens got to it once but were thankfully ok), traps, exterminators, you name it.

I have a treadle feeder on order which should be coming soon and I'm hoping that will work as part of a solution but the rats are so big, I think they could probably figure out how to open it. It stinks, I don't like this part of chicken keeping for sure. If I didn't have the chickens and dogs, poison would be a better option. But poison kills everything.
th.gif

Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover is the best thing since sliced bread. Gets grass stains, mud, urine, poop etc off white horses/dogs/cats with a few spritzs. Smells good too!
http://www.cowboymagic.com/products-greenspot-remover.html
My family is new to raising chickens and I recently joined this site. Roberta saw one of my posts on the silkie thread and invited me to visit this group. My daughter and I are getting happily addicted to chickens. We have ten - 4 week old chicks (BO, SLW, GLW and Araucanas?) for egg laying. And, we just got some sweet silkie chicks in splash and blue, along with two polish. Our living room is brimming with chicks! I am also looking for some other lovely colored silkies (just don't anyone tell my hubby).
Tina
frow.gif

The little silkies are addicting, aren't they? I won't tell!! Welcome to the NY thread!

Good morning all, I got up at 3:30 and realized I'd left the coop window open. A raccoon could easily get in. So I go downstairs to close it. I go in, close it and a huge rat almost runs across my flip flopped feet. UGH! He ran straight for the hen's door which was of course closed for the night. He kept running back and forth trying and get away from me. Now I am worried about Mrs. C and her chicks in the other room. So I take my flashlight to go in and check on them and the battery in the flashlight dies. So now I'm in the coop and I need light so I turn on the big overhead light and Mrs. C takes the opportunity to get her and her chicks a drink of water. Noooo, Mrs. C, get back in your nesting box with those chicks, there is a huge rat hiding somewhere in here and he can't get out. I get her back in her box, turn off the light and finally leave, hoping the rat went through the people door I left open.

Now it's 4:09 a.m. and I want to go back to sleep but I can't stop thinking of the rat. He was eating the feed I left in there for the chicks and Mrs. C.

Anyone else out there having problems with rats? They were here before we bought the house and now they are getting big and fat from all the chicken feed they eat. I've tried poisons (the hens got to it once but were thankfully ok), traps, exterminators, you name it.

I have a treadle feeder on order which should be coming soon and I'm hoping that will work as part of a solution but the rats are so big, I think they could probably figure out how to open it. It stinks, I don't like this part of chicken keeping for sure. If I didn't have the chickens and dogs, poison would be a better option. But poison kills everything.
th.gif
Good morning! I'm up this time just about every morning!

Rats are VERY hard to get rid of. Poison is the best solution, but, it would have to be well out of chicken reach, and chickens reach everything. Glue traps, regular traps, you honestly have to kill them to get rid of them, you can't chase them away.
I hope you get some sleep! I'm packing for my camping trip tomorrow!

th.gif
I get an occassional rat in spring & fall & have no problem getting rid of them. You get the green/yellow poison blocks. You pit it in the rat hole, cover it with a brick so chickens don't eat it and keep replacing block until you see it in there and no one's taken it. Voila! I just had to do it a couple of days ago. Only takes 2-3 blocks (if you're talking one rat) and they're dead cause I think they take it back to the nest. And I've never seen a dead rat out either for anyone to eat. Try it...it works!

Back
Top Bottom