Southern States chicken feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by reereechickens, Mar 10, 2011.

1. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Hi! I was in my local Southern States farm supply store and seen where they sold chicken feed. I was wondering does anybody use this for their chickens? My chickens HATED Dumor's brand and were happy to get their Layena back! What is your opinion or what is your chickens opinions?

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Thats all Ive been feeding for years. I also use their goat pellets.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've bought almost every kind of SS feeds and it all has been good quality.

4. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i use it, they dont complain! i use SS feed for my horses too

5. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    I like it.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've used it. Egg production was good. Chickens like it. But they aren't fussy like some, I guess.

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    It's all the feed my feed stores in my area have so it's all I've fed to my duck and chickens since I've had them. The like it, and egg production is always good during these warmer Florida months. I'm not sure if my feed is the same as yours, but on the bag it says "All vegetarian feed" which from the ingredients, seems to be a fact.

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I only use Southern States....I have tried the Purina ones before, but it is the same and SS is near my home so I have used for it 15 yrs. now. My chickens do fine and the egg production in the warmer months is very good...winter too if I remember to keep a light on them.

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I feed layena, but have fed SS. I felt like the SS I was feeding they would eat alot more of it. My horse only eat SS with good results. BUT that being said layena cost way more.

10. lemongrass

lemongrass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Maryland, US
    I am glad I found this thread, I was wondering about the SS brand! The closest feed store is a SS. Does anyone know the price for a 50# bag? Money is super tight right now but growing chickens need to eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by