Southern Sweet Tea

I put 2 tetley tea bags in a pot of cold water (about 2 metric liters)
tiny pinch or baking soda in the water
sweeten to taste, 1/4 cup aprox of sugar
slowly bring to a boil and remove from heat let it cool to room temp

once cooled to room temp, remove tea bags
pour into pitcher and enjoy

I was told that by adding the baking soda it cuts the bitterness... and it worked

Last edited by a moderator:
Our only way to manage our weakness for Southern Sweet Tea is to have it ONLY when we travel South. Indulging in this decadent drink is our proof to ourselves that we really have escaped home and headed out on the road, southern style. It's funny to us that when we travel and go to a restaurant, it's only in the South that the waitress asks, "Well, hon, do you want sweet tea or..." Rarely does she finish the question, as though the mention of UNsweetened tea is too horrific to say outloud, besides which, we've already jumped the gun, finally "down south," so we're free to exclaim, "SWEET tea!" Oh, the joy:) ~G

Last edited:
I fill a 2 quart pot full of hot water and add 4 family size Luzianne tea bags bring to a boil then remove from heat and let stand say 5 minutes (ain't never timed it)
Put 1 and 1/3 cups of sugar in the gallon pitcher and pour in the hot tea stir to mix in the sugar and again allow to sit say 15 minutes to allow sugar to melt.(ain't never timed it)
Take pot you boiled the tea in and remove the tea bags and fill the pitcher stirring as you pour in the cold water.
Serve over ice best tea you will ever drank!

I wanted to add i hate tea made in a coffee maker nothin more nasty then tea with a hint of coffee
sickbyc.gif

I put about 2 quarts of water in a pot and 8 tea bags fill a gallon jug about 3/4 full put 2 cups of sugar bring tea and water to just about a boil take tea bags out and pour in picher sometimes I will add a pack of kool-aid lemonaid to it to give it a lemon flavor if I dont have lemons

Hubby used to be in the restaurant business...He brings water almost to a boil and then puts the tea bags in.....On the side makes a sugar solution....I only like a little sweet and put about a tablespoon of the simple syrup (sugar) in my tea....He likes a lot and uses a whole lot more....

When I make it, I soak tea bags in hot water. add sugar and rinse the tea bags a few times until water is clear.

Hope this helps

I don't drink tea, but here's how I make it for my husband.

Take two cups of sugar and combine with one cup of water in a small stock pot. Cook until sugar water mixture is clear. Add to half gallon of water. Stir. Then add four Luzianne family size tea bags. Top off with water, stir and let it steep for a little while. Then, ENJOY!

Last edited:
i add the sugar to the water then boil remove from heat then add tea bags and let steep for half hour or longer

Last edited:
Luzianne tea bags, we get the smaller ones, have no idea what size to call them though
idunno.gif
4 cups water in microwavable container. 7 tea bags in water, microwave 7 minutes. Poor into gallon jug that already has about 1/4 filled with cold water. Add water to the tea bags as you empty into the gallon jug to get more of that tea out.

Add one cup sugar, stir and let sit for about 20 minutes.

It is how it's been done in my family for years and even though i'm not a tea drinker I can make it with the best of them.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom