SOY good or bad for chickens

chicks4fun

Songster
14 Years
May 11, 2009
Frederick County MD
I am finding conflicting information on soy in chicken feed. I have read a few accounts like this one:

1. Soy is high in phytic acid. Phytic acid blocks uptake of vitamins and minerals, especially in monogastric animals like chickens and pigs.
2. Soy is rich in the plant version of estrogen, phytoestrogen.
3. Eliminates the strong possibility of GMO contamination.

Then I read others who post in BYC saying that they add " roasted soy " to their chickens diet. That soy is needed for the birds.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Is it good for my girls or is it bad?
Is it the roasting that changes the soy to make it safe?
I would like to mix my own feed but I am finding all the conflicting information confusing.

Thanks

Soy has to be roasted or cooked to make it safe for chickens. Using soy is a personal decision for you. Many don't like it because in regular feed it is GMO. Some don't like it because of the estrogen like compounds. You will have to decide for yourself. I prefer having no soy, or at least organic soy, but have used regular feed from time to time. I mostly prefer a variety & many conventional feeds are mostly soy & corn. I don't think it is soy per say, but the overload of soy in all products. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Your call as to whether you want it or not.
But I will point out that soy in some form (usually soybean meal) is used in 99.99+% of all poultry feed in the United States.

I have realized that & was thinking on making my own feed. I never thought feeding chickens would be so confusing. I have been trying to figure on what to put in a mix and the % required and I get lost. Then I read pros and cons of soy and I really don't know what is right.
It was easier to feed my human children!

Go up to my thread a couple above - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/651147/feed-recipe-not-sure-how-much-of-what/60

I chose whole roasted soybeans since it's a better option than soy meal. It's also better than a 40% corn based feed. I feel all things are good in moderation. I am also trying to make my mix more 'heritage' instead of all of this processed by-product crap. That's my opinion though.

My reason for trying my own mix is because I am going through about 165-170lbs of crumbles a week. My birds are only getting the mill's crumbles and I want my breeders having better nutrition, have a feed that they don't waste as much, a feed that isn't as dusty and something that makes them feel fuller.

I have realized that & was thinking on making my own feed.   I never thought feeding chickens would be so confusing.  I have been trying to figure on what to put in a mix and the % required and I get lost.   Then I read pros and cons of soy and I really don't know what is right.  
It was easier to feed my human children!

It only has to be as difficult as you want it to be.

I don't mix my own feed and I don't worry about soy. If it were detrimental for the birds to the point of negatively impacting growth, production, or anything else it would not have become the near universal feed component it has become.

Your call as to whether you want it or not.

But I will point out that soy in some form (usually soybean meal) is used in 99.99+% of all poultry feed in the United States.
Hearty Hen by Nurtinia sold at TS does not contain soy. I use that.

Cluck n Company is soy free

Grubbly Farms is soy free

Back
Top Bottom