Soy in feed and GMOs

jolenesdad

┑( ̄▽ ̄)┍
7 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
When I jumped on the chicken train, I found the best food I can source locally is a non gmo and soy-free food. Works for me.

However, I used over 1000 pounds of food over the last three months, and, am thinking of scaling up. I don’t even want to mention what I paid for this feed in 50lb bags.

Okay, for discussion I’ll tell you. 29.99. :th

I can almost cut my feed costs in half buying a NON-GMO—but soy containing—feed in bulk.

My question is, in general, is the thought that GMOs are bad, soy is okay if it’s not a GMO?

Are there concerns with meat birds and extra estrogen?

My personal goals are to provide the absolute healthiest food I can for my family through my chicken projects. I’m not so concerned with science if it makes sense and makes me feel better about it.

While I am still saving so much over comparable quality meat at the market.... money talks. And it certainly talks if I wanted to produce to sell.

I’m thinking of switching to the soy-included diet. Anyone have thoughts? reference links to see through the fog of figuring this out?

GMOs are fine and so is soy, my opinion.
Phytoestrogens in soy have been shown to have both health pros and cons, but as with all things moderation is key. I think it would be a stretch to say that some soy in food that you feed your chickens whose meat you sometimes eat as a small-moderate part of your diet will cause harm.
A bigger concern may be the negative environmental effects soy farming has.
You may find this relevant:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

Back
Top Bottom