SOYBEANS!! Are my chickens lucky?

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
The farmers are harvesting around here now and I came across some spilled soybeans along our road. I'm sure the chickens can eat them but can they eat them whole or do they need to be cracked? Is it worth feeding them? I'm a newbie so I need some thoughts on this. Thanks

I've been told that the soybeans uncooked are really bad for the chicks. They must be cooked or processed. Something about one of their proteins. jean

WOW! I'm glad I checked here first. I was just going to toss it out for them to scratch. Now I need to figure out how to cook the beans. Maybe llike any other beans, huh? Thanks again!

you need to cook them to an internal temp of 180 degrees you can either roast them which is a little bit trick since you run the risk of burning them nad burned roasted beans are prety pungent or you can cook them in water. Great feed if you cook them first. It effects the lining of the stomach somehow and they cannont properly digest food.

Cooked soybeans are an integral part of protein in many animal feeds

So you boil the beans before you give them to the chickens? I had found alot that was spilt so I wasn't sure so i just left the pile.

Attack Chicken, I've read enough info now to know that it has to be 'heated' before it is considered safe for the chickens to eat. I put the beans in a big roaster and left it in the oven for awhile. Stirring once in a while.

If this is true, why are our soybean fields favorite feeding spots of pheasants and wild turkeys? Those beans left behind by the combine certainly aren't cooked.

It isn't that the beans are poisonous or something. They contain what the animal nutritionists call "antinutrients."

Heating alters these compounds. Otherwise, they inhibit the digestion of both the beans and other foods. So, the birds are not gaining the full value from what they are eating. They may also become deficient in some needed nutrients if raw soybeans are too large a part of their diets. That can have a serious effect on their health over time.

That is just as I understand it . . .

You can do a google search for "legume antinutrients inhibit site:edu" to learn more.

Steve

Soybeans contain Antitrypsin which inhibits nutrient absorption. By cooking them, it destroys this and makes the beans a good source.

This site looks like it will help, but you will need to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

Back
Top Bottom