SOYBEANS!! Are my chickens lucky?

digitS' :

I was hoping that you would come back and post a link, Tonya
smile.png
. I have been looking for things like that.

Extruding pellets or crumbles is a mechanical processing but it generates heat. The feed manufacturers deliberately control that heat so as to make their products less "toxic" and more digestible. Sometimes, heat sufficient for pasteurization is applied before extrusion. That serves 2 purposes.

The link Tonya provides shows that cooking is more important with young birds, at least with regards to using the protein. I'm getting to be an old bird . . . I wonder how this wasabi I put on my sushi is made less toxic
wink.png

Steve

You are welcome. Sorry it took so long for me to realize that I hadn't posted it.
roll.png

I finally tracked down a site that actually tells the temperature and length of time.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3741/is_/ai_14673311

Paragraph 13.

I don't have anything to tone down the wasabi, sorry.
lol.png

Quote:
For the most part they are not able to absorb the protein from the beans.

This site http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/194/whole-soybeans-in-diets-for-poultry

Says
: The results obtained using raw beans on laying poultry are very variable. The oldest data, which relate to low-productivity stock, shows satisfactory results when using up to 20% unprocessed beans, both in chicks (Nesheim, 1967) and in commercial laying hens (Fisher et al., 1957; Saxena et al., 1963b and c; Summers et al., 1966). Arscott (1975) compares diets for laying hens based on raw beans, extruded beans and soybean meal and indicates that the raw beans reduce the laying capacity and the weight of the birds, but improves the Haugh units (table 2). Latshaw and Clayton (1976) observe an increase in the weight of the pancreas and a small reduction in the laying capacity and egg size when including 20% raw beans in the diet, but not with inclusion levels of less than 10% (table 3). Waldroup and Hazen (1978) compare feeds based on raw and processed beans (table 4). The raw beans reduced the consumption of the feed (88 vs 101 g/d), laying capacity (53.8 vs 79.0%) and egg size (58.1 vs 61.7 g), but improved the Haugh units (78.7 vs 70.9).

Basically, that they will lay less and lay smaller eggs.

This article was VERY good. It states that the layers will eat less, lay less eggs, most likely lose some weight, however, the eggs will be normal sized, and once the raw soybeans are no longer part of their diet, things will go back to normal. No birds died because of the raw beans.

Enjoy reading! GREAT question!

Thanks for the link Tazcat. I went ahead and oven roasted the bean then added them to some suet I'm making for the birds for their winter treat.
K

Back
Top Bottom