SPA DAY ?

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
This is probably silly question #100 from me and I appreciate your indulging me. I don't get to spend the week days with the chickens so I scrutinize them on the weekends. My BIGS or at least the 3 best most consistent layers have developed a new twist...they are taking FOREVER in the nest box like hours..YES hours ..is that normal? They will be a year old September 10th and are extremely good laying birds and 1 of the 3 is the head hen the 2nd is a never miss a day girl and the 3rd is my broken chicken...broody comes and goes then lays like a machine then takes her sweet time laying..uou get the picture. Is all this normal the extended time laying...we are calling it "Chicken Spa Time"

There are several reasons why hens linger in a nest box. Shall I list them? Since you insist.
The benign ones first.
1.They like the sensation of eggs under them and it soothes them.
2. A hen is going broody.
3. An old hen will climb into a nest for old times sake to relive her peak years. (Yes, this happens, and sometimes she will surprise herself and you with an egg.)

The ones to be concerned about.
1. A hen feels the urge to lay, but she has a blockage and the egg won't come out or the reproductive canal is clogged with other material, a shell-less egg close on the heals of a normal egg, pus, blood clots, tumors. You may see fluid dripping from her vent.
2. A hen is being bullied and she finds safety and relief in the nest.

I have a 3yo buff orpington who has always taken a couple hours to lay. I figured was just her norm. I have a 1yo easter egger who hops in, drops an egg & hops out - seems like less than 5 minutes. I have another 1yo easter egger that takes about an hour.

Back
Top Bottom