Space and Peafowl Breeding

jaudon77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 26, 2013
South Coffeyville, Ok
Ok, this is random I know, but will the amount of space that peafowl have effect breeding?

I have a trio in a 16' by 16' pen and lets just say the runs never got built like they were supposed too.

Will they still be able to breed? Or should I spend this whole weekend building runs? **I know I should** Just not quite ready to drop that amount of cash, but I will if I have too. :(

A lot of people say that you need 100 sq ft. per bird. Soo since your pen is 16ft x 16ft. that equals 256 ft. and divide that by 100 gets you 2.56. I guess you would round that up so about 3 peafowl. You should be fine. I wouldn't add any more birds to that pen though.

Do you have photos of the pen?

Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion that really the minimum space for two birds to get the best mating results is essentially the same as for five birds.

I don't think that your 16 by 16 is bad for the birds but I believe that you would be much better off with longer pens. We get MUCH better results with even two birds in a pen that is 25-30 feet long and 10 feet wide due to the flight length. We keep up to five birds in 10' by 30' pens. Of the 30' length the last 10' is covered.

We have some 20' by 20' pens and get much more nervous pacing out of those pens than the longer ones.

I wasn't really taking a picture of the pen in this photo but it's all I have on hand. 16' by 16' square north side and top tinned and half way down each side with a roost built towards the back. The plan is to add a run to each pen so they will measure 16 wide by 40 long. Well the 24' runs haven't been built yet. Which is not a big deal bc they free range all year till breeding season.

My breeding pens are not that big and I have no issues or pacing going on inside but I do get the dust bathing going on. That size is fine for 3 birds. When in doubt contact a breeder and ask to visit them and you will see how big they are. As long as the male can put up his train he will be fine. Be sure you have perches so the can fly up on them.

Back
Top Bottom