space per chicken

Thank you all for the comments. I will tell the builder of my coop(my brother-in-law) that we need to do some resizing. We were thinking about doing the enclosed part 5 by 4, and open-bottom 10 by 4(will that be big enough?). It breaks my heart that they cant run around free but that's what happens when you go from being a co-owner at a 10 acre farm in Florida to a city house in California! I do not want any pecking, I've seen those cases before, so thankyou again for the resizing help!
thumbsup.gif

Why not draw up your plans and show them with an explanation and don't forget the 10 chickens part as I am sure most people wont go back and look to see what the population in the is going to be .....
cool.png

Most of the regulars on here are going to be honest and fair about space requirements to put the coop & run the material cost and so on or and the labor of course ....
wink.png

Here is a picture of the plan, I'm not very good at drawing but this gives you an idea. So, I am getting 10 chickens, all standards that can get really tall. Will this be big enough you think?(The second picture is what my coop will be like. It is just off Pinterest, I didn’t build my coop already)

Here is a picture of the plan, I'm not very good at drawing but this gives you an idea. So, I am getting 10 chickens, all standards that can get really tall. Will this be big enough you think?(The second picture is what my coop will be like. It is just off Pinterest, I didn’t build my coop already)

Alright nice drawing and nobody here ask for a draftsman but great job on that
very readable
thumbsup.gif

I am going to take some photos of my run for you tomorrow as I need to get
some battery's for the camera but I have never measured my run but it is
12 feet X 21 feet now that really is not much room and if you make a run
the size of yours of which there is nothing wrong with but it will need a lot
more cleaning as the chickens are in a some what confined space so the
litter will build up faster and much more often ...
wink.png

Let me ask you this how big of an area do you have to work with to start
with and I know a coop and run are not sa-post-to take up the whole yard
that I agree with and I know everyone's limitations are different and I just
happened to have acquired the two homes next to me at an auction so
they and not used for housing but as storage and large shed's so I do
things different but everyone dose everything different .....
cool.png

This is why I ask how much room do you have to work with as it is
perfectly fine to put 10 chickens in that amount of space and it will work
and you can make it very secure fairly easy and that is the most important
thing I do believe....
smile.png

So when do you plan on starting this massive work project Be-lee518
as I am sure others including myself would enjoy seeing your progress
over time and if need be you'll probably think about expanding and this
will be a great starting point ......
yesss.gif

Wish you well in your poultry ventures
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

gander007
old.gif

If you are getting 10 birds, you'll have to add on about 1 1/2 to twice the size you have now as a minimum. any smaller and you will end up being a veterinarian just healing your birds. It is recommended 4sq. ft. for each hen in the coop and 10sq. ft. per hen in the run. But remember, bigger is better.

Back
Top Bottom