Spam private messages?

I've gotten them too, but, the problem I see is, they seem to be contributing members' accounts that these are coming from. They have posts on threads, some the same as the PM, some completely different and obviously written by a real person. I though someone's account was being hacked.

I'll forward mine, too.

Great news! After Staff discussion, we have been able to turn on the ability for PMs to be reported.

So you can just go ahead and report the PMs you feel are spam.

Remember that action taken will be rare still, given the premise that PMs are private messages and you have more control over what you receive (or send for that matter) than we do.

I.e. don't flag it unless you are pretty sure it is spam/offensive and really needs to be reported
wink.png

Not at all. Feel free to report what you think might be spam or a rules violation.

We will take a look and if needed we will take action.

I've been wondering about the rules. Do they all apply to the PM's as well? Apart from the obvious spam, flaming, trolling, offensive etc.

Well, we would hope that members would be polite in PMs, but generally since you have the power to block the member or just delete a PM without reading it, we won't take action unless it is pretty extreme, like spamming, threats or other illegal activity.

As long as other behavior that is not permitted on open forum stays off the forum, you have more control of how it affects you and how you react to it.
For example, if some calls you a name on the forum, you will get a million people jumping on the bandwagon and making it worse. But if someone sends you a PM calling you a name, you have the ability to block that member, reply in kind or just delete the PM without reading it.

Well, we would hope that members would be polite in PMs, but generally since you have the power to block the member or just delete a PM without reading it, we won't take action unless it is pretty extreme, like spamming, threats or other illegal activity.

As long as other behavior that is not permitted on open forum stays off the forum, you have more control of how it affects you and how you react to it.
For example, if some calls you a name on the forum, you will get a million people jumping on the bandwagon and making it worse. But if someone sends you a PM calling you a name, you have the ability to block that member, reply in kind or just delete the PM without reading it.

The message that I received wasn't rude at all, if it had been I most likely would have reported it first thing. It was just that I got the EXACT same message three times, even after I answered it the first time I still got it twice more which made it obvious it was spam. If I get any more I will report them, thanks so much for taking the time to address this I appreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom