Spangled chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by suziedoozie, May 26, 2011.

1. suziedoozie

suziedoozie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    I bought a pair of Mille Fleurs and a pair of Spangled chickens at a swap meet. I know this is dumb but are the spangled chickens just a variation of the regular Mille Fleurs or are they a breed in themselves? They are smaller than the Milles, but I'm thinking they just might be younger. Anyway they are all very awesome little birds!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Spangling is a presentation of a specific set of genes. It can occur in any breed who carries the spangling gene.

So to answer your question: no, it is not a breed. The chicken is some sort of breed, which is presenting spangling.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    other birds come in spangled...oegb for example. If you post pics we may be able to help you figure it out [​IMG]

4. suziedoozie

Feb 6, 2011
    Sorry, no pics. Need a new camera, but thank you for the replies!

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    do the bird look exactly the same but the color

6. Orly29

Orly29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Is the spangled gene recessive like the mottled gene?

7. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Hi Suzie !

From Maine [​IMG]

8. suziedoozie

Feb 6, 2011
    The spangled birds are a bit smaller, I'm not sure if they're Milles or not. I can always go back to the swap meet and ask the gentleman. That is if the weather holds out for Saturday. I live in rural Missouri and every Saturday there are Farmer's Markets and small animal swap meets. Unfortunately there seems to be thunderstorms and/or tornadoes too! Hi, XYZ:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by