Spangled Russian Orloff Hen I hope

Sstewart

Songster
7 Years
Jul 4, 2015
Orangetown, NY
This is Cinna. I was sure she was a he. At 4 weeks she got into a fight and lost. So I held her back to health for 3 days. Now I named her and want her to be a "her". She comes up to me and is the sweetest bird. Please help me determine what she is. Thanks. I have other chicks that are not as feathered, and they have no tail. I will post those later.
She is 6 weeks,

There are a few characteristics your little guy is showing, that suggest cockerel.
  • One is the comb. His comb is already larger and turning red. A female Russian Orloff should have a flatter comb at that age, and still be lighter in color.
  • Two is the blotches. Males tend to have larger patches of white, black, or just a plain old blotchy look. Their colors will smooth out with age. A pullets colors will blend into each other in a smoother fashion.
  • Third is the tail, it seems to be rounded. Pullets tend to have straighter and longer tails.
  • Fourth (not really noticeable in these photos) but cockerels tend to be larger in size, feather out a bit slower, and have thicker legs
  • Fifth it is personality. Your bird was fighting. Pullets do bicker, but not as bad as the cockerels. Cockerels also tend to be more personable, and tame faster then pullets. Many people become very attached to their cockerels because of this.

I wish I had pictures of when my birds where your age. But, here is a pullet with the colors that flow into each other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom