Sparring Chicks.....What does it mean?

chickenhick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Virginia
I have raised chicks before but believe it or not, they were ALL girls!!! This time I only have two and they were born Easter weekend. They have gotten into the habit of bumping chests and fluttering at each other. I don't recall my other chicks doing this before....does this mean that they could both be roos????? Please say it ain't so!
barnie.gif

Our older chicks did not do that, but I got some new ones this week that have had this type of behavior. I have more chicks in the brooder this time than before, so I wondered if this had anything to do with it. They have lots of room, but I have seen a couple doing this. I guess it's just early behavior toward establishing their pecking order.

I have 10 chicks and it has been very warm here this week so outside they have went during the warm days. Needless to say they have lots of room to run and play but they still pick on each other. Especially my favorite, a light Brahma, Miss Prissy, she is a big bully. They are funny to watch though, LOL.
ep.gif

Mine do it as well, and they're five weeks old, and definitely not roos. Black sex link.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom