Spash or blue wyndatte

Theel7

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
I was given to "gold laced" wyndattes when they were a day old both are about 6 months now. One has the gold and black mix, while the other has a smokey grey outline. Im assuming she was breed with a splash or blue chicken. On her neck she has the black and gold color, and I was wondering if I had a splash rooster if that would make the outline all spalsh colored.

Attachments

• 20200929_174602.jpg
    20200929_174602.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 11
She's a splash laced red wyandotte. Those come from blue laced red breeding. Crossing her to another SLRW will get more SLRW chicks. Crossing her to just a plain splash chicken will give splash chicks with red leakage, but no laced chicks.
If your gold laced wyandotte came from the same place, she might actually be a black laced red, which also comes from blue laced red breeding.

Blue Laced Red. If you bred her to a Gold Laced the result would be half hatched Blue Laced and half Gold Laced.

The inner lacing of both varities is the same but the gold has inhibitors to mahogany which is red. There becomes a point when the Blue Laced Red is no longer red and should not be called that variety.

Blue variety hatch out splash, blue and black. The color is result of dilution of black that stacks. By stack I mean one blue gene results in some dilution of black making blue color and two genes make white with blue tint or patches.

As the gene has two loci then you can predict any outcome of breeding.
Blue to blue results in 50% chicks with blue color, 25% black and 25% splash
Black to splash results 100% blue
Blue and Black result 50% blue, 50% black

Back
Top Bottom