Spayed Leg

NY Coturnix

Songster
May 12, 2020
New York
I've hatched close to 50 poults this spring and have got all healthy poults until the last 2. In the last 2 days I've had 2 with spayed leg. These eggs were originally under a broody hen that I caught leaving the nest so I stole the eggs and put in the incubator. Could the hen leaving them have caused this or is it a genetic issue? I have 6 hens and like I said I've had no issues until now. I'm trying the cup method to try and save them but this is year one of hatching my own and it just seems odd to suddenly have 2 in 2 days with the same problem.

I've been having bad luck with end of season hatches.
Also pipped eggs and abandoned wet poults don't seem healthy most of the time here. About 2/3rds don't make it 6 months. I have a couple this season. Slow and they don't seem to be growing, but still alive .
I'm thinking I need to bring in new unrelated tom, might make a difference

I've hatched close to 50 poults this spring and have got all healthy poults until the last 2. In the last 2 days I've had 2 with spayed leg. These eggs were originally under a broody hen that I caught leaving the nest so I stole the eggs and put in the incubator. Could the hen leaving them have caused this or is it a genetic issue? I have 6 hens and like I said I've had no issues until now. I'm trying the cup method to try and save them but this is year one of hatching my own and it just seems odd to suddenly have 2 in 2 days with the same problem.
It shouldn't have anything to do with the hen leaving the nest. It could be due to genetics.

Are you sure it is splayed leg and not a slipped tendon? Treating a slipped tendon (perosis) like splayed leg will not cure the problem.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the hen leaving the nest. It could be due to genetics.

Are you sure it is splayed leg and not a slipped tendon? Treating a slipped tendon (perosis) like splayed leg will not cure the problem.
I honestly have never seen this before. The first one is dragging both legs around behind him and just kind of kicking and spinning in a circle. The 2nd has legs going both directions and is flopping around. I was going cull the 1st one and then was in shock when the 2nd hatch like this.

I honestly have never seen this before. The first one is dragging both legs around behind him and just kind of kicking and spinning in a circle. The 2nd has legs going both directions and is flopping around. I was going cull the 1st one and then was in shock when the 2nd hatch like this.
Can you post photos?

Were these assisted hatches?

Can you post photos?

Were these assisted hatches?
I'll take pics when I get home. No, but the first was a very long hatched and I almost thought I was going to have to. It piped almost 24 hours before zipping and the 2nd one was normal. At least I didn't notice it pipping at night and it hatched overnight.

Sorry I wasn't able to get a picture last night. The 1st one had to be culled. I think R2elk was right and it didn't have spayed leg. He was just dragging his legs around trying to pull himself with his wings. He wasn't eating or drinking and not culling would have been cruel. #2 spend the day in a cup and is now fine. Its like a miracle. He's a little slower than his brooder mates but he was walking and drinking this morning like nothing was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom