Speak up- The Goverment is trying to regulate chicken owners

From what I've been reading in the thread, it looks like they want go after the battery farming of pet-style birds (parakeets, ect) and this won't effect food-style birds (chickens, quail, ect). And, quite frankly, I agree with the movement. Thinking back to my childhood, I knew too many people who had a parakeet and all it would do is scream all day and I recall seeing the occasional pet-style bird up a tree from someone who likely dumped them.

Regulation of over-breeding and making sure they have good living conditions (for the main example: Not keeping one alone!) sounds like a good thing.

Animal welfare is a local or, at most, state issue, not a federal issue.

Speak for yourself.

I've got 21 hens at the moment and, though my first eggs from my flock are currently in the incubator, I've paid for my chicks by buying twice what I wanted and selling the extras as started pullet.

4 or fewer is tiny number -- not enough eggs to feed a family except maybe during peak production in the spring.
I was referring to domesticated farm type animals, not the 4 or fewer. I raise quail for goodness sake

I remain at a loss as to why the AWA chooses to continue to exclude poultry, it seems pretty clear that they have the authority to regulate them, if they want to, under the text of the implimenting statutes.

I do wonder if not excluding poultry might have impinged on the big businesses who actually have the money to push back.

I do wonder if not excluding poultry might have impinged on the big businesses who actually have the money to push back.
While that answer is "yes", chances are, they already have a vet on staff, already have written facilities plans, etc etc so this wouldn't really impose new costs on them - certainly not the sort of costs it would impose on small poultry breeders if it applied to us - so it would have the effect of squeezing us out of the market.

While Tyson obviously doesn't care about producers like me selling 4-5 flats of eggs a week to neighbors, these would add something like $1-1.50/dozen eggs in costs to the people with the 1,000 layers and 20,000 broilers FL allows as a "limited poultry and egg producer". That's "a couple" of birds. Even so, probably not enough for Tyson to care. I'm currently inclined to think this is a case of one Agency not stepping on another Agency's proverbial toes. But I've been wrong before (in this thread even!)

It sounds like I wouldn't be affected by anything if I understand all of this correctly.
I think that's the major problem here. We have a lot of misrepresented information and knee jerk reactions going around that are getting people into emotional responses. It sounds like this bill will not even effect chickens, and yet the original poster has chickens right in the title of this post.

Sometimes it's best to just step back and evaluate the situation as a whole. More often than not, it's going to turn out a lot better than the doom and gloom first glance. Especially do this when someone is taking a heavy handed emotional manipulating stance.

Back
Top Bottom