Speak up- The Goverment is trying to regulate chicken owners

I sure hope
The Title, and the Original Post, are basically click bait. As best I can determine, while this regulatory change would extend USDA Regulation to all Avians, it would specifically exclude "Poultry"* and other Farm Animals.

*The only caveat would be if APHIS continues to use the term "non-poultry" as it is currently doing to describe backyard flocks not part of the commercial food supply (as it is doing in announcements regarding the spread of Avian Influenza), see for example here and here. EVEN THEN, certain "de minimis" exemptions would exclude the majority of BYC owners from regulation under this measure.

• annual sales under $500
    four or fewer breeding females
    any person who buys animals solely for his or her own use or enjoyment and does not sell or exhibit** animals

** showing a chicken at the county faire, livestock show, rodeo, 4h club event, etc is, definitionally, not "exhibiting" in this regulation.

The only BYC people who **MAY** get wrapped up in this are breeders like myself (and larger, of course - I'm pretty small, and last year would still qualify for the de minimis exemption). That I'm not seeing an outcry (though I need to look further) from Cackle, Hoovers, Meyers, Ideal, Murray McMurray's etc suggests either they don't think this applies to them, or that they can easily eat the additional costs. I'm also not seeing an outcry from Greenfire, Bob's Biddies, Happy Feat, House of Raeford, Hilltop Farms, etc either, who might not be able to eat the costs as easily - which again suggests they don't think this will apply to them, as I can't believe they are all unaware of it.

When I'm done doing my taxes, I may write them to try and clarify - but for the very vast majoirty of BYCers, I think they can breathe easy.
I sure hope we can breath easy…but yes need to confirm since the interpretation is ambiguous.

I haven't study on all of this enough to form an opinion. Any new government regulation usually has consequences beyond those that appear at first glance.
I agree with you, however, IF and I'm sure that's a huge if, it's only to ensure the welfare and health of the flock/ animal, then I wouldn't mind because that's just another pair of eyes making sure I don't make too many mistakes. You know like the Humane Society,SPCA etc they have people come out and check on the welfare of the animal... Only this way they come on the regular and check. Again, that's only if that's ALL THEY ARE DOING. I do not think that will be the only reason however but we will see.

I agree with you, however, IF and I'm sure that's a huge if, it's only to ensure the welfare and health of the flock/ animal, then I wouldn't mind because that's just another pair of eyes making sure I don't make too many mistakes. You know like the Humane Society,SPCA etc they have people come out and check on the welfare of the animal... Only this way they come on the regular and check. Again, that's only if that's ALL THEY ARE DOING. I do not think that will be the only reason however but we will see.
The two organizations you have listed do not support pet ownership nor animal agriculture and would like to end both.

Brandon is here.

It is not safe to breath easy, just because you are exempt or think you will be under the current proposal.

Have no doubt, the slippery slope will prevail and you will get roped into being “regulated”.

This type of regulation are pushed onto us by PETA type groups whose goal is to let every animal run or fly free and never be eaten, worn or used by humans.

Doing this by regulation means they don’t have to fix an election to get their way.

:eek:
I think most here have very few chickens, hardly any, like they can count them easily and a "I'm not sure how many I have" is a rare comment. :duc:oops::lau
Edit
Actually I'm currently not sure how many I have... lol. Over 20 definitely. I am against this if it leads to potential regulation in the future of backyard flocks. (By a different set of bills.)

Last edited:
A little here and a little there so no one notices and no one cares...thats how it starts.

Back
Top Bottom