Speaking of gas prices

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
OK here are two different emails about the price of gas. The first is really good and
not a joke. The second is George Carlin's take on fuel prices and just some light
reading for entertainment purposes only.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS (Good information)
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

George Carlin's Solution to Save Gasoline

Bush wants us to cut the amount of gas we use.....

The best way to stop using so much gas is to deport 11 million illegal immigrants!

That would be 11 million less people using our gas. The price of gas would come down.....

Bring our troops home from Iraq to guard the Border....

When they catch an illegal immigrant crossing the border, hand him a canteen, rifle and some ammo and ship him to Iraq ...

Tell him if he wants to come to America then he must serve a tour in the military....

Give him a soldier's pay while he's there and tax him on it.....

After his tour, he will be allowed to become a citizen since he defended this country.....

He will also be registered to be taxed and be a legal patriot..... .

This option will probably deter illegal immigration and provide a solution for the troops in Iraq and the aliens trying to make a better life for themselves.. ....

If they refuse to serve, ship them to Iraq anyway, without the canteen, rifle or ammo.....

Problem solved.....

Excellent tips on pumping gas! We always had to leave at least 6 inches of extra room in a 30,000 barrel barge(300'x54'x13') for expansion in warm weather.

George Carlin's Solution to Save Gasoline

Funny!

I'll bet Carlos Mencia's reply would be hilarious too!

Randy​

You gave us so many tips. Merry Christmas Purple Chicken!
hugs.gif
Right back at ya CRW

We always had to leave at least 6 inches of extra room in a 30,000 barrel barge
That's interesting TX. Every year I get many call on the first warm day from folks
saying their diesel generators are leaking fuel. They topped off the tanks on a cold day.
You spill 1 gallon of fuel up here the the DEP is all over you.

I'll bet Carlos Mencia's reply would be hilarious too!
Ya, he would be.

P.S. The Carlin thing came from a member here who was too chicken
to post it. His initials are md

MD chicken, naw!! his electricity must be out!
lau.gif
But unless you are too sensitive that is funny!! Especially the part about no gun and all !

Dont get me wrong I appreciate the humor! What is more, I like it from every perspective. You don't have a sense of humor if you cant laugh at yourself!!

You think DEP is tough. When that barge thing was happening I was a Captain for EXXON. I can tell you stories about oil spills and the consequences. I must say though that my vessel had an unblemished record in that catagory. oh yea and after Valdez the belts and suspenders group came up with 12 inches of space above cargo!

Tx, eventually when I find myself visiting Texas, I'd like to stop by and hear
some of those stories.

As for Carlin I used to love him but he strayed a little too far to the angry
athiest side of the tracks for my liking but I still find a lot of his comedy
to be dead on. Everyone has a right to their own beliefs, or lack there of,
but comedians who find it neccesary to blast Christianity because it's an
easy target tick me off. I'm gonna shut up now.
duc.gif

I understand PC, I first listened to Carlin in the late sixtys. He was young and very funny then. Also liked the one about "stuff" later on.

When you come bring Drumstick, We will turn him loose with a four wheeler and let him terrorize the pineywoods!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom