Speaking of our government....

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My SO just joined something at work, he said all the others were doing it so...
The Fish and Game warden talked them into a program whereby we pay a $50 membership fee and they? in return send us bird seed to encourage wild birds to come to our property. He said there were different categories, where you could encourage different forms of wildlife...birds, deer, etc. and they help you by sending you the appropriate food for those critters. It's supposedly an effort to turn every backyard possible into wildlife habitats. Anyone heard of such a plan? I must say it's the first time I've ever seen the SO make a quick decision about anything and turn loose of $50 bucks to boot!
th.gif
He must be geting soft hearted in his old age!
I have the dream of getting a large chunk of this place designated a Backyard Habitat, but my health is keeping me from it right now.

Hmmm, well he (the SO) is in the middle of a 7 day week and it's been a busy one, so maybe he's so tired he actually joined for free and gave the 'fish and duck guy' a $50 tip!
lau.gif

That is a good concept except for one problem.....If the natural enviroment is in balance, you should not have to feed animals like deer. This can cause more problems than it helps. For one, the deer become dependant somewhat on the feed people put out for them. Then what happens when the population increases and a few people stop feeding? You have a die off due to lack of food for them! Also, you concentrate deer in one area and this can cause a more rapid spread in desease. Feeding birds is not as bad but, if you raise poultry, just remember that wild birds carry deseases of their own! You could wind up causing your birds to become sick! I feed the birds but, I do so half way up my drive way which is approx. 900 feet long so the bird feeder is far away from my poultry....Just remember, animals become dependant on free hand outs and if the enviroment is well balanced, you should not have to feed them at all.

natural environment around here has pretty much been corrupted by housing and domestic live stock, so I agree with state and federal plans to pay landowners (it isn't much), if they agree to not use the land for planting, or livestock.

Our state will supply seed , again , if you agree to not use the pasture for at least one year (planting or livestock).

hmm haven't heard of that one.. kind of odd since I'm right on the idaho border and my neighbors work for the fish and game dept. but our area is already tagged a no-hunting zone and the deer/moose love our yard since we put the pond in.

We have one here to bring back the birds. They offer bird houses and owl boxes to you but you have to keep track of who is using them...

What breed
How many eggs laid
Hatch out count
How many survived to leave the boxes
ect.

They are wanting to get back the birds in this area due to the housing boom and the destruction of their habitats.

Back
Top Bottom