speaking of suet, this is for you RED Hen!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by whatsup chickenbutt, Oct 29, 2008.

1. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    I just made a big batch of:
    cold chicken grease
    cheerios
    oatmeal
    grated carrots
    can of beans
    crumbled up hard boiled egg and shell
    peanut butter
    stale bread
    mixed it all together and spooned it into an 18 pack egg carton and froze it. popped out the little frozen treats and threw a couple to the birds. They loved it!

oops, i said speckledhen meant to say redhen, we were discussing suet before.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Personally not keen on feeding my chickies chicken anything, but the rest sounds pretty good-- um, for chickens!

3. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I was just wondering about this today.I had a chicken that I roasted and it's too old for me to eat.

I put the meat in a container to bring out to the bird, then I noticed the very solidified stock and wasn't sure whether it was too fatty to give them or not...

4. mtngirl

mtngirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Our chickens LOVE all that icky stuff. It is pretty gross to me, but they love it!:pllb

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm making suet balls. You glue the ground suet together with peanut butter, lard or any suitable fat, and add cereal, grain, scratch, other suitable chicken snacks, keep in freezer...

6. dastardlydeed

dastardlydeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Hatboro, Pa
    at the deli today i bought a package of what is called "bird ball"...im guessing it is fat. the grump said i should tie it to a string and hang it for birds in the winter. when i was tying it, some of it crumbled to the ground and the chickens went insane over it.

7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Mine like the baccon fat/peanut butter and anything else I have laying around combo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by