Special assortments: Duane Urch Just how assorted are they?

ShaggyRay

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 2, 2012
Rapid City SD
Hello everyone,
I have been combing the forums since joining and this sight is awesome, when I want a question answered. Here is my dilemma. I would like to to get my local chicken club to go in on a special assortment of large fowl from Duane Urch and have a "chick draft" so to speak. I noticed that he has 58 different breed/varieties(if my count is correct) of LF. What I would like to know is: if you have ordered an assortment from him in the past how many breeds were represented?

Being a college student/farmer I cannot afford $7.00 + shipping a bird. If my math is right, I can get 100 of the assorted for the same price as I can 25 of exactly what I want. I will call him or e-mail directly to see what his response is, but I would like to know from his past customers of their experience with his assortments.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Shaggy

You can buy 25 of exactly what you want, start hatching eggs and have thousands of the birds you want by the end if the first year.

It's false economy to scrimp on your breeding stock.

If the local club is interested in the chick draft, it sounds like a fun day. Perhaps combine it with a pot luck. However, you might end up with none of the breeds you want. I suggest you ask your club members to see how many don't care what they get as long as they get chickens and how many only want specific breeds.

When you say "club" it sounds to me more like people who would be interested in specific purebreds. But, of course, a club could be anything. Maybe yours is people with mixed backyard flocks.

Thanks for the response Oregon Blues, I thought it would be a fun idea and most of us in this area have mixed flocks, but we also have an appreciation for the standard and getting good birds. Our leader has been to the crossroads show, and is helping to educate and move us in a positive direction. Coming from the rabbit world what you are saying about breeding stock makes a ton of sense. My original plan was to get some production birds(on order), Get some show birds (this scheme), build chicken tractors to keep breed varieties seperate and hatch my own next year. Unfortunately, work study as my only source of income until the farmer's market kicks up, makes it impossible to afford the show birds part on my own. I figured that if I didn't get any wyandottes I would let my 4-h nephews have the birds for exhibition.

Back
Top Bottom