Special feed for Molting chickens...

Ruth Ann

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
South Carolina
Is there anything special you give your chickens while they are molting?
Anything extra than jus the regualr pellet? I already treat them scratch and some bread each day.
Not all of ours are molting, but some are.

Quote:
Black Oil Sunflower Seed
smile.png

A high protein feed is recommended, something like a conditioner or flight and feather feed is great and is designed for pre & post molt birds. Give a liberal amount of BOSS as a daily scratch it help the feathers come in nicely. Please stay away from any cat food protein as I am sure many will suggest this low tech method but seriously the better chicken feed works best. You can also top dress the feed pan's daily with a few tblsp of olive oil to condition the skin as the feathers return.

Hi Everyone,
We just did a little article on how to feed molting chickens so I hope no one will mind if I post it here - it has some good info in it
big_smile.png
:

During molt, chickens typically stop laying eggs and use this time to build up their nutrient reserves. Even though they are not laying, it is critical that your chickens have a high quality diet during this time. Feeding a high quality ration through molt will help your birds get through the molting process and back to laying eggs as quickly as possible.

Top Tips For Feeding Through Molt
- Feed a 16% protein layer feed like NatureWise
00ae.png
or Country Feeds
00ae.png
that provide a complete vitamin and energy package for your birds
- Make feed available free choice
- Supplement with extra protein like sunflower seeds, cooked eggs, or peas during molt
- Limit scratch to 10% of diet during molt so you don’t dilute the protein content of the ration

Molting and growing new feathers requires a lot of energy. Feathers are 85% protein… so be sure your birds’ diet includes a highly nutritious feed like Nutrena NatureWise or Nutrena Country Feeds that consists of at least 16% protein. You don’t need to add medications or other vitamins if you’re feeding one of these feeds.
Just as your chickens have individual personalities, they will go through molt differently as well. Some lose a few feathers and grow them back in as quickly as 3-4 weeks. Other chickens lose a lot of feathers and take 12-16 weeks to grow them back.

Other tips for helping chickens get through molting:
- Reduce stress as much as possible, avoid bringing new birds into the flock if possible
- Chickens should act normal during their molt – if they seem sick, something else is wrong
- Both roosters and hens go through molt

I've switched them over to a higher protein diet while they are molting, and try to feed less corn and wheat treats. So everyone is getting an 18% protein, non vegetarian feed (it has fish meal in it). I've noticed that the new black feathers coming in look very shiny and green...

The down side is, for the last few weeks they've been going through a lot more feed than usual (and a lot less of the comparably cheap whole wheat).
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom