Special feed for Molting chickens...

Ruth Ann

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
South Carolina
Is there anything special you give your chickens while they are molting?
Anything extra than jus the regualr pellet? I already treat them scratch and some bread each day.
Not all of ours are molting, but some are.

I've switched them over to a higher protein diet while they are molting, and try to feed less corn and wheat treats. So everyone is getting an 18% protein, non vegetarian feed (it has fish meal in it). I've noticed that the new black feathers coming in look very shiny and green...

The down side is, for the last few weeks they've been going through a lot more feed than usual (and a lot less of the comparably cheap whole wheat).
tongue.png

A high protein feed is recommended, something like a conditioner or flight and feather feed is great and is designed for pre & post molt birds. Give a liberal amount of BOSS as a daily scratch it help the feathers come in nicely. Please stay away from any cat food protein as I am sure many will suggest this low tech method but seriously the better chicken feed works best. You can also top dress the feed pan's daily with a few tblsp of olive oil to condition the skin as the feathers return.

Back
Top Bottom