Special feed for Molting chickens...

Hi Everyone,
We just did a little article on how to feed molting chickens so I hope no one will mind if I post it here - it has some good info in it
big_smile.png
:

During molt, chickens typically stop laying eggs and use this time to build up their nutrient reserves. Even though they are not laying, it is critical that your chickens have a high quality diet during this time. Feeding a high quality ration through molt will help your birds get through the molting process and back to laying eggs as quickly as possible.

Top Tips For Feeding Through Molt
- Feed a 16% protein layer feed like NatureWise
00ae.png
or Country Feeds
00ae.png
that provide a complete vitamin and energy package for your birds
- Make feed available free choice
- Supplement with extra protein like sunflower seeds, cooked eggs, or peas during molt
- Limit scratch to 10% of diet during molt so you don’t dilute the protein content of the ration

Molting and growing new feathers requires a lot of energy. Feathers are 85% protein… so be sure your birds’ diet includes a highly nutritious feed like Nutrena NatureWise or Nutrena Country Feeds that consists of at least 16% protein. You don’t need to add medications or other vitamins if you’re feeding one of these feeds.
Just as your chickens have individual personalities, they will go through molt differently as well. Some lose a few feathers and grow them back in as quickly as 3-4 weeks. Other chickens lose a lot of feathers and take 12-16 weeks to grow them back.

Other tips for helping chickens get through molting:
- Reduce stress as much as possible, avoid bringing new birds into the flock if possible
- Chickens should act normal during their molt – if they seem sick, something else is wrong
- Both roosters and hens go through molt

In addition to the Nutrena All Flock feed (18% protein) they ger all the time, I give them a daily ration of BOSS as their treat. Occasionally put out canned tuna in oil, and sometimes sardines in oil. Not too often on the latter, as there is a lot of sodium in canned sardines. (I can get low sodium tuna.)

I hadn't thought about peas for the whole flock, as I use those for duck treats. Hmmm. I bet the waterfowl will get testy about all those chickens getting "their" peas.

Mine are getting a mix of meat bird and laying hen feed, and then I give them BOSS every day, and other high protein treats, like some egg, or cooked meat, peanut butter. And we have loads of new feathers coming in! They seemed to really like the meat bird feed, so Im not sure if its tastier or just the higher protein they need.

Last edited:
Quote:
You can give them a some extra protein and fat when they are in molt.
To me the best source for add protein during molt is going to be animal protein (meat is best).
I use Bil-Jack Small Breed Select dog food to top dress my regular chicken feed along with that I add just a little Cod Liver Oil and Molasses.

The Bil-Jack is a good source for animal protein fat and Omega-6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acids
The Cod Liver Oil is good source for Fat, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Vitamin A, and Vitamin D
Molasses is a excellent source of Copper and Manganese and a very good source of Potassium, and Magnesium it also has Vitamin B6 and Calcium.

Remember chickens are not vegetarian there Omnivores and they can proses animal protein a lot easier and better than plant protein.

Chris

Last edited:
One of ours is molting like crazy. More so than last year. she's a SLW, year and a half old; she shakes off a dust bath and feathers go everywhere. I notice she is more stand offish/scared to come take BOSS out of my hand which she usually does (she is dominant). Also I noticed that her grayish feet have a touch of pink between her toes that I don't remember noticing before....any thoughts?
(they range all day and get some yogurt as well as BOSS for treats).

On top of at least 16% protein feed, we increase the BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) we toss out to the girls. You can always feed them any extra eggs you may have too (we do this as well). Boil them up, crush them with shell and all, and toss them out to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom