Special help for rescued battery farm hens?

What you need to do, after normal quarantine, is fence off an area for them where they can be alongside your existing flock but separated by a fence. Chickens hate newcomers and they can be seriously brutal. Your new birds don't need to getting beaten up by the others while they are also trying to adjust to a completely different life. I'd keep them alongside for a good long time, let them get used to life and let the others settle down. If it were me, I'd give it a month, maybe even more, but I like to do these things slow. Please no sweaters, that will only add to their stress.

As Sumi said, these birds are likely to be very susceptible to disease and parasites, and especially coccidiosis. Once they get on the ground it might be wise to treat preventatively to protect them from a case of coccidiosis while they develop their own resistance to what is in their environment.
Thank you! That helps a lot. How should I preventatively treat for coccidiosis? Won't they be exposed already at the rescue farm? They are allowed outside on the dirt once the are in good enough health. I will talk to the people about if the treated for mites and dewormed already. Just for future reference: what is the egg wait time on Revolution mite treatment and on Wazine (I have had chickens for almost 4 years, I just forgot)? Also, can I treat with both at the same time?

Thank you for your help!

-G

Thank you!
Since they have already been on the ground they will have built some resistance, the problem being that there are at least 9 different strains of the coccidia protozoa. So if they come to your place and encounter strains new to them they are again susceptible to coccidiosis while they develop resistance. As far as preventative treatment, you would do 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water if using the liquid Corid, 1/3 teaspoon if using the powder, make it fresh daily and do this for 21 days. This keeps the cocci from getting out of control while the bird is able to develop their own resistance.

I don't use Wazine or Revolution so I can't comment on using both at the same time but as far as egg withdrawal... you are usually good with a 10-14 day withdrawal after medicating. But again, I have never used Revolution on my birds so it would be good to look into that further.
Should I buy Corid online or is it at feed stores? After the 21 days do I have to wait longer on eggs. If so, how much? Thanks again!

-G

Most feed stores carry Corid, they may have the liquid in the poultry section, if not look for the powder in the cattle supplies section. There is no egg withdrawal on Corid.
Sorry for my late responce... Thank you! I will get that today.

Back
Top Bottom