Special light to keep predetors away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by willowtreecreek, Jan 26, 2010.

1. willowtreecreek

willowtreecreek Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Arkansas
    I thought I read on here once that there is some special flashing light or so ethi g you can put out that will discourage opposums and others from getting in the coop. What is it? Does it work? Where do I get it?

2. newchickengirl

newchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    It is the night guard and you can get it just about anywhere that sells live stock supplies. It ranges in price from about $25-35.

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Save your money. If you have any old Christmas light that blink, put red bulbs in them and it will do the same thing. I have never used them,
    but know of some that has. They still have lost chickens to predators.

4. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    You'll get pros and cons of night guard lights on the forum. I use them and haven't had a ground predator problem but I believe it's because I don't depend upon them alone. Having only flashing red lights is not the answer. You need defense in depth such as making sure your coop is closed and secure at night, your fencing is intact, you've provided material to prevent animals from digging under the fence, and having netting or some sort of cover to prevent hawks, owls, and eagles from getting to your birds. Night guards are just one part of the protection issue.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    They do work, but not 100% foolproof. I would invest in a good fence charger for the money and sleep easy (barring a power failure). I would also do a dusk lockdown for a 2nd line of defense. I have the fence charger and do a lockdown every single night, and have not lost one yet.[​IMG]

6. willowtreecreek

willowtreecreek Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Arkansas
    I am not sure what a fence charger is but I don't have a fence. My birds free range and have a coop to lay in and roost in at night. We have dogs that usually keep predators away but I did kill a possum last night. They get locked down after dark. I just want something extra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by