Species That Go Broody?

Ziekenzie

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
Hello everyone. I am hoping for some suggestions on some quail species that are known to go broody or at least are more likely to go broody. I have read that the instinct has been greatly diminished in quails due to selective breeding, but I have also seen that some species are more prone to go broody.

Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone. I am hoping for some suggestions on some quail species that are known to go broody or at least are more likely to go broody. I have read that the instinct has been greatly diminished in quails due to selective breeding, but I have also seen that some species are more prone to go broody.

Thank you in advance!
@Ziekenzie If you have a well built aviary, that is realistic and comforting you will have a better chance of them going broody. I would suggest California valley quail as they are one of the more broody breeds imo. I would recommend staying away from coturnix if you are looking for good mothers and sitters. As @muddy75 said some bobwhite varieties are good sitters. (I would recommend steering away from bobwhites if you are new to quail because of how aggressive they can get).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom