Specific Emu Incubation Questions

Kymber50

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Hello all, I should introduce myself! My name's Jake, I'm a freshman at Montana State University in Billings, MT. I've always loved poultry, since I was little. Currently my family and I have about 20 chickens, 4 guineas, 1 gander, a potbelly pig, Scottish Highland Cattle, 7 rabbits, 1 cat, 3 dogs, and 2 snakes...and hopefully some emus come spring, if the hatch works out!

I've combed over the posts on here and I still had a few questions if that's okay. I plan on ordering 3 emu eggs, keeping them at 97 degrees and 40% humidity in our incubator. When people say they turn the eggs 5 to 6 times a day...how? a quarter turn? a 180 flip? I've never artificially incubated eggs, I always let the momma hens do it! Also, it says to stop turning on day 47 of incubation and move them to the 'hatcher'. Can anyone elaborate on this? Also, it says to increase the humidity to 50% for the last 3 days of incubation, then it says incubation can be 48-56 days. How do I know when to increase it? Thanks so much!

Jake

I got this great book called the The Emu Farmer's Handbook by minnaar it has everything you need to know about emu's, raising emu's, and all that good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom