speckle hen

sammy chick

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
hi there

I was wondering if anyone can help i have a speckled hen and we got her about 2 and half months ago and she is not laying her comb isnt red yet but i was wondering how long it takes for them to lay? Can ant one help me. xx

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

Around twenty weeks is when most start to lay. If you got the pullet as a chick she will start laying in around another two and a half months, say early October.

Hi there my speckled is eating and drinking bit she isn't eating the grid there has been some eggs but haven't formed very well does this mean that she is trying to lay or getting ready and is this normal? Please can anyone help

When they first start to lay, their system may not be up to speed and odd things can be laid. Eggs without shells at all, rubber eggs(no calcium on the membrane), small marble sized eggs, over sized eggs.

Hi there my speckled is eating and drinking bit she isn't eating the grid there has been some eggs but haven't formed very well does this mean that she is trying to lay or getting ready and is this normal? Please can anyone help
If she is not eating the "grit" (I think you mean to say)...she simply doesn't need it. She doesn't need much. Just offer it free choice.

Yes, eggs are funny when they first start to lay...and she is laying for you already.

As the other poster said, you'll get shell-less eggs (like rubber water balloons), funny shaped eggs, tiny eggs, until she comes into full production.

Yeah...sounds like you'll have good eggs soon.
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom