Speckled buff Orpington eggs?!?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Beefcake15, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Beefcake15

Beefcake15 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Colorado
    I have 4 buff orpingtons which are about 10 months old. I get 3-4 eggs daily so they are very awesome layers! About 3 days a week I get a very pretty brown speckled egg... Is this normal?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I sometimes get a speckled egg too and I have Buffies. Not very speckled, though.

The "usual" speckled eggs come from Welsummers though- from my experience. Those are very speckled.

3. Beefcake15

Oct 23, 2012
    Colorado
    Ok thank you! I am posting from my phone and can't figure out how to attach a pic, but I posted a couple pics of the eggs on my profile.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes that is very speckled, more so than what I get occasionally. It is just the spray paint the hen puts on the egg. Very pretty and you are fortunate!!!

5. Wooster

Wooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    southwestern ohio
    funny, I got this one too and looks suspiciously like yours... the one on the right is what I have been getting from my other chickens. I have only ONE Buff hen...
    [​IMG]

6. Beefcake15

Oct 23, 2012
    Colorado
    Where did you get your Buff from? Maybe some sort of cross breeding. Oh we'll she lays regularly she is sweet and the speckles are pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by