Speckled egg a problem? New layer.

MountainMomma359

Songster
Apr 14, 2022
My buff orphington Winnie just started laying less than a week ago. All eggs have been small and brown so far. Today her egg had purplish looking speckles and she laid way later in the day than usual. Google says it can be a problem, so when do I worry? She eats layer feed, shells on the side, and free ranges several hours a day.

Attachments

• 20220926_171014.jpg
    20220926_171014.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 31
There are certain reasons that speckling can be an indicator of illness BUT it's rare and, in new layers- especially in brown eggers-, speckling is common.

Don't worry.
Thanks, sometimes googling pet issues can be like going on web MD for a headache and you end up thinking you need to make out a will and get your affairs in order 😵‍💫😆 It is a lovely purple bloom though 💜

Thanks, sometimes googling pet issues can be like going on web MD for a headache and you end up thinking you need to make out a will and get your affairs in order 😵‍💫😆 It is a lovely purple bloom though 💜
I avoid the internet illness sites because I'm always nearly dead, lol. My sister, OTOH, won't stop looking up her symptoms and, consequently, always thinks she's dying.

I have a few RIRs that are still in their speckle stage. One of our F1 olive eggers lays a sage green egg and, when first laying, she decorated them with an abundance of speckles. When she stopped, my wife was heartbroken because she thought they were the prettiest eggs ever.

Back
Top Bottom