Speckled egg layers...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TW1Kell, Oct 3, 2012.

1. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    I couldn't find an appropriate place for this, and settled here...There is a TV commercial about some type of skin care that shows a slightly off-white egg with dark spots all over it. Their goal is to remove the spots from your skin. Is that an actual spotted egg, or is it an egg with ink spots splashed onto it? I am currently seeking olive green eggs, but thought that the spotted eggs are beautiful. Is it real? If so, what breed of chicken lays them? ANY help would be truly appreciated. Oh, and I am still searching for those elusive olive eggers in the Northeast Mississippi area. Every time I buy a hen's chicks that "come from a hen that lays green eggs", I get brown!

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I feel you about the Olive Eggers. I've had the same thing happen.

As far as the egg, it might be real, but there is no pure breed I know of that lays that color. Welsummers lay brown eggs with brown speckles. Sometimes my Barred Rock's creamy brown eggs have tan speckles, but that's probably not normal.

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    the spotted egg is real. i have a hen that is part maran that lays spotted. look thru the maran thread under breeds and genetics, they have several pics of spotted eggs (maybe early on in the thread)

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It could be a real egg. Lots of wild birds lay heavily speckled/splotched eggs that can look remarkably like rocks. Google "quail egg" (if I remember the commercial right, you can't tell how large the egg is).

As for speckled layers... My Welsummers all lay terracotta eggs with dark brown speckles. Those would be your best bet if that's the look you like. Now, there are other birds that can lay speckled eggs but it's definitely case-by-case. I have a Marans that lays brown eggs with nearly-black splotches & speckles. I love those eggs even though it's not considered ideal for a Marans.

5. pemphredo

pemphredo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Aransas Pass texas

6. pemphredo

Jun 21, 2012
    Aransas Pass texas
    I have a hen that lays eggs with some spots on it. She is a RIR...

7. pemphredo

Jun 21, 2012
    Aransas Pass texas
    also after watching the commercial I do not think they are real eggs in the video. it looks like computer generated images.

8. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    or they could be pheasant eggs...don't they lay speckled eggs?

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    as for the olive eggers try finding first generation Americana marans crosses instead the eggs the chicks hatch from should be brown and the chicks once adults should all lay green eggs

10. Ralph Moyer

Ralph Moyer Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two of my Barred Rock/ Ameraucanas hens that lay olive drab green eggs. one has tiny brown specks. I also have a Welsummer hen that layer a cream-colored egg with large brown spots like in the commercial.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by