Speckled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rusty66211, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Rusty66211

Rusty66211 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2009
    I have a couple off hens that every now and then lay what looks like a speckeld egg but when I wash it with eggwash the spots come off. I have never fed oystershell and some off my eggcustomers have commented on how hard the shells are. could there be a problem for my hens?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Hozer

Hozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    Welsummer egg:

[​IMG]
    The darker color is laid over a basic brown egg. It can be washed/scrubbed off. You may have some derivation of this.

Fresh neighborhood eggs should have a thicker/harder shell. It's normal. They normally get better care and nutrition. Production eggs have thinner shells because they are fed just enough calcium in their diets to make a shell. They may sit in refrigeration for up to 6 weeks before they make it to the store shelves.

In other words, you can tell your customers your eggs are far superior to "store boughten".

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    1 of our 2 Light Brahmas lays a "speckled"egg. It's brown with purple speckles that can be washed off. I thought at first that is was from her eating ink berries, but she hasn't had them in awhile and she still lays the "speckled" eggs. They are really pretty actually. Don't have any idea why only 1 would lay eggs like that [​IMG]

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    The brown pigment, that both makes the brown shell color AND the dark brown speckles on top, is derived from hemoglobin in the blood.

Today I got a rare speckled egg from a beige egg layer. The speckles were so fresh they were still wet and, like moist dark blood, they smeared right off when I picked it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by