Speckled RIR eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hwrights04, Jan 15, 2017.

1. hwrights04

hwrights04 Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    We have 2 RIR that are laying. Not sure if just one or both of them are laying speckled brown eggs. Is this something to be conserned about? I thought their eggs were just the solid terra-cotta color. We have them on high quality layer feed + some free ranging, keep their water fresh, and they get about 1/4th cup scratch tossed out each day (between 4 hens total).

[​IMG]

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Pretty color!! Don't think it's a concern, are they new to laying? I'm sure someone with more experience will be peeping in, my Blue Wynadottes just started laying so I'm learning.

3. Goosegrrl

Goosegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Central FL
    Speckles are fine... no concern necessary.
    Brown coloring on eggs is sort of 'painted on' after the shell is created, which is a white shell as the base. Some girls leave a nice smooth coat of brown... others are a lil messy.

I personally like the speckled look. I have a SS hen that lays a very light tan egg with lavender colored speckles on it. Every time... to varying degrees.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. hwrights04

hwrights04 Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    Ok thank you ChickNanny & Goosegrrl!
    Yes they are new to laying. Glad to know it's not something due to a deficiency or something like that. I think it looks pretty too!
    That is really interesting about the lavender speckles Goosegrrl! How cool!

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Wish my girls would "liven up" their egg color [​IMG] Then again I'm glad to have eggs period!

6. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    I also have 4 rir hens. 2 lay speckled like you have. 2 lay solid color with 1 being slightly darker then the other. It's funny since they are all sisters hatched together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by