Speckled Sussex 7 weeks What are they?

bleu chick

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Houston, TX
I have 6 Speckled Sussex that are 7 weeks old. I still cant tell what I have. I only want to keep 2 pullets but I cant tell which 2 to keep still.
Ignore the BLR Wyandottes and the Buff Cochin Mama.

33772_sussex.jpg

33772_sussex2.jpg

They appear to all be pullets. Since they all look similar at this point, keep the two that are the sweetest. You'll be able to tell which ones they are....

All have the same comb growth, no waddles, no agressiveness or mock fighting between them. Is it a miracle when you only hatch pullets? I belive the BLRW are pullets as well. CRAZY!!!!

Thats what I thought but figured it couldnt be. I hatched these eggs. Ended up with 7 hatching out of 12 (mailed fertilized eggs)

Lost one to a dog. But they have always been the friendliest chicks. I give alot of credit to the cochin mama. She tells them I am "OK" where another mama I had said "run from them". It makes for a totally differnt chicken.

However the BLR Wyandottes that were raised with them are no where near as friendly. They keep a same didtance.

The Sussex jump in your lap and run up to you to see what trears I have.

I raise SS and I agree that I am only seeing pullets in your pics. At that age males will have more white in their breasts and whiter faces.

Oh my gosh, you are really lucky to have all pullets. They are by far the sweestest birds around. I'm glad that you are enjoying them... I wish I lived closer so I could take the ones you're selling. We got only boys this year - go figure!!!

I wouldn't advise trying this on these but next time you get chicks and you want to know what sex they are pick one up turn it up side down for about 6 seconds or so. If they fight to get up with in 4 seconds or so it is a roo if the go lemp and don't fight it is a hen. I have tryied it on the 13 chicks I have that are about 7 days old now and if this method is acurate I have 13 hens.
big_smile.png
I really dont want any roo for now I JUST WANT EGGS!!!
big_smile.png

backwoodsman4life-this is an old wives tale. it does not work.

they appear to be mostly pullets to me, 2nd photo far left might be a roo, not the best photos. my ss i could tell by 4 weeks, roos have fast comb development.

Back
Top Bottom