Speckled Sussex and tiny eggs.

stubbornhill

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Shapleigh, Maine
Our Speckled Sussex are 26 weeks old. They have been laying for a couple of months, but continue to lay really small eggs. We have 6 and a Partridge Rock the same age. We only get 1 or 2 eggs a day from them. Is this normal? Will the eggs get any bigger? Will they start laying more of them?

Thank you for your thoughts!

I had one SS. Her eggs were always quite small, never got to more than maybe medium stage, if that. It was odd because the egg she hatched from was larger than any she ever laid in her four years of life.

Thanks speckledhen. That is strange isn't it? I am hoping that they get bigger. Currently, I have to use 2 for 1 when cooking or eating and I certainly can't sell them. They are very pretty birds, very friendly and get along well with other chickens too. But we will not hatch or get more if the egg size doesn't improve. We'll see!

Mine lays those teeny eggs as well, she is about the same age as yours, I am hoping she will improve after she gets a good first molt in. Do your eggs have lots of speckles and spackle on them?

No speckles and spackles on ours. Light beige perfect looking (for a quail) eggs.
lol.png
I'm wondering if they need more protein or something?

I have 2 SS one started laying @ 17 weeks and they are 32 weeks now, both lay medium sized eggs, never seen them get any larger but they the most consistant of the bunch. Mine are very light brown in color but I would consider them Medium or slightly bigger, but nothing like the Partride Rocks we have they are monsters. I don't think extra protein will add to the size, our girls get plenty and I've not seen any difference in the size of the eggs.

Well...I'll continue to be greatful for the mini eggs that I get. Assume and hope they will get a bit larger in time. And, just enjoy their wonderful personalities!

Back
Top Bottom