Speckled Sussex, bandage and spraddle leg

RootandRoost

Chirping
Aug 19, 2019
Norman, OK
My 6 new chicks arrived today. One of them seems to possibly have spraddle leg...but, if so, it's very mild. I tried to use the bandaid method but got it on crooked. So, had to take it off which was very traumatic. It pulled her fluff horribly and some of it is still stuck to her leg.
In the 3 hours I've had her home, she seems to be much better. She still has a wider stance than the other chicks but she can lie down now. At first she would just fall asleep standing and her head would fall backwards a bit. But, she's lying down normally now. Maybe it was all just trauma from the shipping?
These chicks are going to broody hens tonight. I've had great fortune with slipping chicks under my broody girls.
Does anyone have an opinion on any of this? Should I put her under a broody? How do I get that little bit of bandaid off? It's really stuck.
Does a chick's spraddle leg every correct itself if it's very mild?
She is a Speckled Sussex.

I had placed my chick with spraddle leg in with my broody and it had a little bit of tape still on, the broody went after the tape so I had to take the chick back in and really work to get it off. I’d suggest getting the tape off if possible and slip it under her tomorrow night. I wish you luck in whatever you decided to do!

I had placed my chick with spraddle leg in with my broody and it had a little bit of tape still on, the broody went after the tape so I had to take the chick back in and really work to get it off. I’d suggest getting the tape off if possible and slip it under her tomorrow night. I wish you luck in whatever you decided to do!
Thanks for your response. I was able to get the bandage off. The chick seems fine now.
However, only half the chicks were able to be placed with their new moms. My "proven" momma hen had a hard time dealing with the 3 chicks she was given. She kept them warm overnight, but the chicks slipped out from under her at some point because they were cold at 6 am. She tried but they wouldn't stay under her. They are now in a brooder with a light. We are going to do something different tonight and hope for the best. I really want the hens to raise these babies.
Oh, and the "spraddle" seems to be correcting itself. It was very mild.

Back
Top Bottom