Speckled Sussex chicks...what gender are we?

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
Ok...so I have had bad luck sexing SS in the past (sort of-I got two that were supposed to be pullets-both were roos) So , I thought I'd let you all help me this time!

I have three Speckled sussex that are about 8-9 weeks old. My guess is one pullet and two cockerels. I remember reading somewhere that often young females have less white on the head and chest, which if I'm guessing correctly (I'm going on comb development) may actually be a way to tell the apart (my suspected pullet has less white on her head and chest). Ok, so on to the chicks!!!! Who is what?

(click picture to enlarge)

chick 1 (maybe a roo?)

chick 2 (maybe a roo too?)

chick 3 (maybe a pullet
fl.gif
)

Last edited:
I've only had one Speckled Sussex ever, so I'm not much of a judge, but she looked a lot like number one at that age and she's a girl, so I think there's hope. I was worried she was a cockerel too.

Quote:
Oh, I hope so!
fl.gif
After receiving two "pullets" that both turned out to be roos, I'm scared to guess (though I didn't hand pick the two mess-ups, the breeder did. He says they are the only breed he has that much trouble sexing) I got hatching eggs and thought maybe I could pick up on the differences as they grew-but they look so much alike
idunno.gif
I wish they were as easy to sex as my wellsummers
love.gif

I think you're right.
I have 2 SS, a little over 6 weeks. In a matter of days around 5 weeks one had a huge comb all of a sudden, like your 2nd one, and the other looks like you're 3rd. I was so bummed, already had 6 older chicks and got some more just b/c I wanted some SS. Now i'll only end up with 1.
sad.png
i have had bad luck with the ladies!
Someone had posted about it being easy to sex SS when they are really young, but that method said mine were the opposite of what they turned out to be. sigh....

I think your origin all post is correct, 2 roos and a pullet. I raise SS and they can be tricky sometimes, but one thing I can tell you is that the rate of feathering has no correlation to gender and most of the time, young pullets faces will be browner and the males will have a whiter chest.

Here is a pair of mine around the same age as yours

37373_100_4675.jpg

And to show how tricky they can be, this one has a small comb, but he is a roo, notice he does have a lot of white in his breast.

37373_lil_ss_2.jpg

I'd say you are probably right in your guesses. I don't know why it is, but I always have at Least one roo in my order of sexed pullets. Last year I ordered 3 pullets and got 1 roo, 1 welsummer pullet, and 1 SS pullet. I was pretty mad about that and everyone said someone else was to blame and it never got resolved. This year, I ordered 10 and at Least 2 are roos. Looks like one of my 2 EEs is also a roo. Grrr... I am so irritated, but am working at moving onward.
wink.png

I'm going to say

Pullet
Roo
Pullet

I say the first is a pullet based on the body shape and tail. The boy in #2 has a short stumpy tail. #1 does not. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Quote:
your birds are lovely <3 Yeah...I'm pretty sure it's 2 boys/1 girl. The two boys do have much more white on their fronts. Any chance you need more cockerels? LOL
wink.png

Quote:
your birds are lovely <3 Yeah...I'm pretty sure it's 2 boys/1 girl. The two boys do have much more white on their fronts. Any chance you need more cockerels? LOL
wink.png

Ha nope I got plenty SS cockerels I'm trying to sell if you need more, lol no pullets to sale though, I'm raising off everyone I get my hands on right now.

How far away are you from me down here in South Ga ? Berrien County If you are close enough for pick up and would be interested in a few pullets if I end up having any anytime soon, I can put you on my list and let you know when I have some. But it may be next spring before I hatch anymore, I got a few egg orders to get caught up on and my girls have been taking a break from laying.

Here are some of my breeders

37373_110_5779.jpg

37373_110_5778.jpg

37373_110_5776.jpg

37373_chickens_045.jpg

37373_110_5780.jpg

Back
Top Bottom