Speckled Sussex cockerel not developing

Okay, that helped. I can confirm he is a cockerel. His male specific saddle feathers are stating to come in. He's just late but otherwise looks perfectly normal for a cockerel that age. I don't think he is quite ready to mate, so that is probably why he is behaving strangely with the girls. If he is causing problems, then separate him for a while until the girls are near to laying. You will be able to tell by there combs and wattles going red, but may not happen until Spring. Or you could re-home him. Lots of options. I've circled the start of male feather on him. The feathers coming in will be very narrow and very glossy.
Sussex.jpeg

Okay, that helped. I can confirm he is a cockerel. His male specific saddle feathers are stating to come in. He's just late but otherwise looks perfectly normal for a cockerel that age. I don't think he is quite ready to mate, so that is probably why he is behaving strangely with the girls. If he is causing problems, then separate him for a while until the girls are near to laying. You will be able to tell by there combs and wattles going red, but may not happen until Spring. Or you could re-home him. Lots of options. I've circled the start of male feather on him. The feathers coming in will be very narrow and very glossy.View attachment 3334025
Thank you

Okay, that helped. I can confirm he is a cockerel. His male specific saddle feathers are stating to come in. He's just late but otherwise looks perfectly normal for a cockerel that age. I don't think he is quite ready to mate, so that is probably why he is behaving strangely with the girls. If he is causing problems, then separate him for a while until the girls are near to laying. You will be able to tell by there combs and wattles going red, but may not happen until Spring. Or you could re-home him. Lots of options. I've circled the start of male feather on him. The feathers coming in will be very narrow and very glossy.View attachment 3334025

I agree. When I blew that photo up on the screen I see what you're seeing.

Though to be certain it would be good to have a photo with a piece of paper or something under those saddle feathers to make sure of their shape.

I wanted him for breeding purposes, I got him as a male, just had a few mixed opinions and needed to confirm.

A point to consider,

Your rooster is half the flock. Do you WANT to breed late development into your birds as an ongoing trait?

Why did you select this fellow in particular over other possible options? Are those characteristics sufficiently good to offset the slow development problem?

Back
Top Bottom